Dell Optiplex GX260

May 4, 2018
I have a GX260 given me that was working fine when the hard drive was taken out . All computers in that office were replaced. I put a working hard drive out of a GX270 in to test it and bios says No hard drive detected. Everything I can check in bios is checking out working correctly. Do the jumpers on the IDE hard drive have to be changed? There are 5 sets of connections on this hard drive, not 4. There is no direction printed on the hard drive. It's a Western Digital Caviar made in 2004, but working fine in the GX270. I'm very new at this and don't know very much. Please help. Thanks,

Solution
I don't know about old dell's in pata-days so this may be irrelevant. I have got a slightly newer model (Optiplex somenumber from around 2010) that have sata only. In bios settings, each and only sata port needs to be activated in order to use - and in addition the boot process makes trouble if one sata port is activated and no drive is connected.
As said, I don't know if that is an issue with older dell's.
I don't know about old dell's in pata-days so this may be irrelevant. I have got a slightly newer model (Optiplex somenumber from around 2010) that have sata only. In bios settings, each and only sata port needs to be activated in order to use - and in addition the boot process makes trouble if one sata port is activated and no drive is connected.
As said, I don't know if that is an issue with older dell's.

Solution