Dell Optiplex gx270 2GB RAM = No Video??

Leafsnow

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
So I was setting up a nas server and it needs 2gb but when i put in 2gb no video shows up but in i put in 1.5 it shows up like whats sup?

Are you saying that with the 2GB you don't even have a post screen? And with 1.5 you do? It has to be a bad memory module. If you're planning to use this as a server, and considering that this is an older computer with minimal processing capability compared to mainstream models currently available, I would definitely try to get the maximum memory in there, which is likely 4GB for the GX270 depending on which case and form factor your have. There were three sizes of the GX270 available and only one of them had four memory slots. I'd try different memory or else make sure you're getting it completely seated.

Yeah, you have to make sure you're using RAM that's the right clock speed that your board supports, and in a size per stick that your board supports, and, if using multiple sticks you need to realize that some boards require all multiple sticks to be installed in specific locations in the RAM slots. Also in many cases they have to be identical matched pairs. Some boards don't require this but most do. You'll need to check on this for whatever board you have or that you install later. If you can provide the model number of the board you have I can look into it for you.

with out doing a lot of digging back on this it seemed like I read at Kinston from Kingston that with most prebuilts like dell some memory may not work if its not dell approved or something like that .. i'll try to find it but don't hold your breath on it it was one of them lucked out finds on that issue

Kingston ValueRam (KVR) is Kingston’s standard memory line designed with whitebox users in mind. Kingston ValueRam is engineered to meet industry standard specifications and is rigorously tested to ensure quality. However, it is not tested for compatibility in brand name machines such as Dell, HP, Gateway, Sony, etc., which may require specific memory timings and have limits to the DRAM densities used to support these systems. Nevertheless, if the memory meets the system specifications, you may install it to determine compatibility with your system. For help selecting memory, contact Kingston Sales at 800-835-6575 or use our Memory Search at http://www.kingston.com/us/memory/search/Options.

Yeah! What he said! Although the newer the system the less this seems to be applicable nowadays. Especially for the mainstream desktops. Now, that being said, machines intended for use as servers or workstations are a lot more likely to be picky about compatibility with hardware components as compared to consumer desktops. Some of the Dell's and HP's with the processor integrated or soldered to the board will definitely balk at non-OEM memory though in most cases. So yeah, it's all true. Like I said, if you get me the model and specs of your components I'll check into compatibility for you or you can.

any upgrades to any prebuilt is at own risk
my disclaimer on that

some models of store bought computers [dell.hp,acer,ect..] may come with a ''locked or fixed'' bios and may not allow you to change certain hardware as a video card.. this is done to protect them from undue warranty claims and refunds .this is not done to hurt you but to protect them. you really need to see if that upgrade has been proven to work in your model first before you invest money in it .. there are a lot of these threads here at toms to look at some models will allow upgrades and some dont.. and a lot of guys here say ya ya ya when is really no no no...it would be sad you spent $200 on a card that wount post after you installed it as most find out. then get told its your psu and you spend more and end up right back where you are now, but its up to you good luck..

you got to know the the boards in these computers are not like the ones we use to do custom builds witch are open to upgrading with in the boards compatibly . the bios is custom made for there design and just for the parts they authorize to be used on there computers