[SOLVED] dell optiplex motherboards

valrog

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
do you guys know if they follow the normal atx/matx motherboard? im trying to find a cheap lga 1155 motherboard just so i can use my pc and there are lga 1155 motherboards pulled out from optiplexes that are selling for cheap. i was wondering if i can just buy that and put it on a case or something.

Solution
Depends on the specific Optiplex model, IIRC?
I think the smaller (SFF) ones used a custom layout.... the mid/full towers used mATX or ATX....

LGA1155 should be after Dell stopped using proprietary PSUs, so you should be fine with a normal ATX PSU (4pin EPS, 24pin ATX)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Depends on the specific Optiplex model, IIRC?
I think the smaller (SFF) ones used a custom layout.... the mid/full towers used mATX or ATX....

LGA1155 should be after Dell stopped using proprietary PSUs, so you should be fine with a normal ATX PSU (4pin EPS, 24pin ATX)

Solution

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Looks fine to me:
dell-optiplex-7010-9010-desktop-system-mainboard-motherboard-773vg.jpg

The only problem you could have is with front panel interface. Dell used custom connector (single ribbon cable for everything at the front), and it is not easy task guessing the pinout.

Dell have good support site, where you can download even service documentation for most of the models. Check there for your future motherboard.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I don't think Dell were using the ribons by the Optiplex 7010 era, were they Alabalcho?

The front panel is a good point though - while the image I posted appears to have F_Panel pins on the bottom right of the board (bottom of the left side in the image), they'll be unlabeled. Dell did use an all-in-one connector there.

So, you'll have to do a bit of trial and error to get the power button etc wired correctly.