Status
Not open for further replies.

AceMovie

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
Is there any power supply 300+ watt that will nicely fit in the Small Form Factor version of 390 OptiPlex? Thanks.

Solution

You running with the original power supply? It's nice to see a proof point that a 240W PSU can handle a small CPU and a GTX1050.

For new case, there are an huge number of options. I like a mini-tower format. You can get tiny gaming ITX cases with full height PCIe slots, portable LAN party cases, huge full tower gaming cases, etc. You can get $40 cases that work well, or spend $100 and get something really nice. With your parts cooling airflow will be fine on any case.

You will need to:
1. Mount your MB in the new case. Likely the mounting holes will line up, but they may not. Check the web to see if anyone has moved the SFF MB from your system...
Think that is Form Factor: TFX for the power supply and that this will fit, but I may not have done enough googling. Double check it. SeaSonic SS-300TGW 300W TFX12V (v2.31) 80 PLUS GOLD $42 https://www.amazon.com/SeaSonic-SS-300TGW-TFX12V-Certified-Active/dp/B009AFHTVO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481932213&sr=8-1&keywords=SEASONIC+SS-300TGW

This spec says the max slot wattage for that board for the PCIe slot is 25W. Not sure if that is just because they do not have enough wattage in the power supply or if there is a MB restriction on current. page 16. https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex-390-tech-guide.pdf

You need a low profile video card if you are upgrading.

Good luck.

AceMovie

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

It says that the maximum wattage for PCIe slots is 75w. I bought a GTX 1050 and that takes up maximum 75w. I am wanting to get the 1060 ti but need more power that's why.

You good on "LOW PROFILE" vs. full height video cards ? You will need a low profile. Not sure a gtx 1060 comes in low profile.

here is a gtx 1050 low profile with a FULL HEIGHT bracket. See how low the video card is? You'd swap the full height bracket for a low profile one to get it in your case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814137081&cm_re=gtx_1050_low_profile-_-14-137-081-_-Product not sure if the low profile bracket is included in the box, often they are but not always.

Normally PCIe slots are 75W. But the table in the opliflex 390 spec on page 16 says
" Maximum Wattage 75W 25W 25W" where the 75W is for the minitower, and the 25W are for the DT and small form factor. I've never seen this type of restriction before. I hope it is power supply limited, and when you swap in a new PSU you will have all 75.

here is the spec https://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optiplex-390-tech-guide.pdf?dgc=BA&cid=306033&lid=5794655&acd=123092276202786738c101156640&ven3=811602870423240104

AceMovie

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016

My 1050 fits in the case without the lid on.

AceMovie

Commendable
Dec 14, 2016
It plays fallout 4 ultra settings 50+ fps, so I think it's 75w not 25w. I am also looking for a case for it. The motherboard has an awkward size though so it would be hard. Do you have any suggestions? I can't find any myself.

You running with the original power supply? It's nice to see a proof point that a 240W PSU can handle a small CPU and a GTX1050.

For new case, there are an huge number of options. I like a mini-tower format. You can get tiny gaming ITX cases with full height PCIe slots, portable LAN party cases, huge full tower gaming cases, etc. You can get $40 cases that work well, or spend $100 and get something really nice. With your parts cooling airflow will be fine on any case.

You will need to:
1. Mount your MB in the new case. Likely the mounting holes will line up, but they may not. Check the web to see if anyone has moved the SFF MB from your system. Check the dell pubs to see if they give the MB format, it might be standard.
2. Live with the IO plate missing from the back of your PC. The IO plate normally comes with a MB, and moves from Case to Case. Your Dell will not have a movable IO plate, they solder them in.
3. Get a new Power Supply that is ATX format. ($50) The format PSU you currently have is rare, and is extremely rare in cases that take a full height video card. It's very likely your case will need an ATX power supply.
4. Play mix and match with the motherboard connectors. If Dell has a custom MB connector (likely) rather than the separate pin headers you would get on a standard MB then you may need to take the header with you and splice wires rather than push pins onto a pin block.

All of this is doable. You'd need to view this work as fun and something you want to try or you'd just get a $50 MB that fits without bother. (then you get a better CPU to go with the $50 MB, then you'd add a few more things and discover you were $300 into buying parts and have an entirely new PC).

The only advice I'd give is *DO NOT* get a combo case+power supply. A $50 case plus power supply comes with a crappy $20 PSU that is not worth having. I'd pay not to get one, and you couldn't pay me enough to run a PC on one of those POS power supplies. I'm not that fussy, I have a bunch of HPs running on their Bestech PSUs, and think your Dell PSU is fine, it's just the stuff they put in those combo deals is scary given they can destroy your MB, CPU and disk drive with one high voltage failure, and they can cause blue-screen stability problems at any time as their output voltage swings with every line current hit.

Aside, Your SFF case with the side off likely has good cooling, but double check. Sometimes they duct the airflow assuming the side is on and the air MUST flow over certain components in a particular order. The CPU cooler airflow and the VRM would be things to consider. If this is what your PC looks like you are likely OK: https://cwl.cc/2012/09/review-dell-optiplex-390-small-form-factor.html

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.