Question DELL OptiPlex SX280 max upgrade

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Dec 2, 2021
Hello, I have an old Optiplex SX280 (Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM, 70GB HDD) with Windows XP that my dad got for free.

However the thing is the specs are too old for what he needs (like online work meetings, documents for work, etc) and right now I can't buy a new computer for my dad.. I heard you could upgrade it to a Intel Celeron D (Pentium 4 is better and faster so I'll use a Pentium 4) and 4GB RAM, and a better GPU and a better HDD.

The question is, how much will it cost to do so? How much do I have to spend to get it done?

Thank you.
:langue:

Also here is what the PC and the specs are:
mypc.png

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2021
optiplex sx280 socket is reaaally old, you can search for the best processor for it, but honestly it can't do much.
The question is, how much will it cost to do so? How much do I have to spend to get it done?
Not so much actually, ddr2 ram is considered junk rn and a very basic graphic card like a gt 210 cost nothing, i'd recommend get a SSD before anything. tho i'm pretty sure that old mobo doesn't support SATA 2

NOW, my main concern is your dad, he is much more exposed to any scams or viruses than you, and giving him a really outdated and vulnerable OS is clearly not the best idea.

Dec 2, 2021
optiplex sx280 socket is reaaally old, you can search for the best processor for it, but honestly it can't do much.

Not so much actually, ddr2 ram is considered junk rn and a very basic graphic card like a gt 210 cost nothing, i'd recommend get a SSD before anything. tho i'm pretty sure that old mobo doesn't support SATA 2

NOW, my main concern is your dad, he is much more exposed to any scams or viruses than you, and giving him a really outdated and vulnerable OS is clearly not the best idea.

Look, my dad hardly uses it. He only writes documents and stuff.

Before you spend money on it for him, there are better options .
Almost anything here is at least twice as fast as the P4 for $100-125 range and 4 times as fast in the $150 +/- range.
https://www.walmart.com/search?q=refurbished+pc
PLUS they come with windows 10 for security for him. Way too many viruses, trojans ,spyware ETC......
If he connects to the internet at all his computer is vulnerable With XP.

Don't take my advice the wrong way. I still have my Mad Onion 3dmark record holder in the basement closet along with 20 or so other PCs.
Many I gave away to someone who needed one but some of my favorites I have kept over the years.

P3 1.26@ 1589
Asus TUSL2 with a modded bios from Evil Inside
512mb ram @167fsb
Nvidia TI 4200 with AMD copper CPU cooler
Aureal SQ1500
FSP 400w power supply
Antec soprano case
Later upgraded to 6800 Ultra AGP
A battlefield 1942/ Desert combat back up pc for many years.
Or my original Pentium 75 @90mhz system
or my P3 550e @ 869mhz system
Do I still use them daily NO. Way too slow and vulnerable.
But for nostalgia I fire them up for a game occasionally.

Love my Vintage PCs and Sound systems

Reactions: King_V