Dell or build

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

maxtoons

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Man, Don't say the D word here. :?
Of cource you are better off bulding your own.
You can also get some one to do it for you, like Fry's computers, they will buld a system for you for about $130 fee, that is if you have Fry's in your area.
Or you can use website like cyberpower.com I think they have the best prices on the web. :)
But Dell, I don't know any power user who is happy with one. :?

angry_ducky

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
The only downside to a dell (i think) is the fact you cant overclock)

They don't let you overclock because they'd have to replace the CPU when you fry it.

As far as far as the Power supply its rated at 305w and was still able to use a 7900gtx no problems.

BS

by the way if you use the recover disc it will reinstall all the dell crap

But if you order it with the Windows CD, and do a reinstall, then you get a clean copy of Windows with no crapware.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
i honestly can't believe we are having this thread...

go dell if you plan on using your computer for the basics (internet, word processing etc) cause them s#!ts are cheap and a pretty good deal when you throw in a monitor and speakers and everything.

go with a fresh build if you plan on actually doing anything with your computer other than menial, old man nonsense.

final thought: there is no way on god's green earth a 350w PS could power a 7900gtx in a system...where do you people make this s#!t up?

and another thing to ponder...who makes UPS trucks and why can't you buy a used one? i actually know the answer but it freaked me till i figured it out...

riva2model64

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
First off, I believe it is possible to run a 7900 GTX computer on 350w. It depends on the proc he's got. For ex, I have a friend who ran a Dell Dimension 4600, which i believe has 250w psu, 3.06 GHz w/X800 XT agp and it ran fine. Also have a friend who ran a Dimension 8400 with 3.2 GHz Prescott and X800 SE just fine on 350w psu. Who says Dells can't do anything but basics? In my experience Dell cases prove to be easier to work with than some aftermarket cases.

Newer Dells have a restore hard drive feature (press f11 at startup or someting, finishes operation in a mere 2 min or so) that works like a format but doesn't actually format the hard drive, deletes everything and restores data to how it was originally or something like that. The optional Windows disk should allow you to perform a Windows format though.

I used to think that Dells were "walmart trash" until I got to use their actual products. They really are quality items. One thing bad about them is the total contiunuous power of their psus, a good thing is the performance of their CPU coolers and ease of use.

Caboose-1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Just build your own PC.
Not everyone can build their own PC like you and I. Perhaps that is why he is getting a Dell? Don't say "Well it is so easy all you have to do is-" no. You must understand that for most people the very concept of even touching the components of a PC frightens them.

maxtoons

Distinguished
May 16, 2006
Just build your own PC.
Not everyone can build their own PC like you and I. Perhaps that is why he is getting a Dell? Don't say "Well it is so easy all you have to do is-" no. You must understand that for most people the very concept of even touching the components of a PC frightens them.
Yeah, I remember when could not even open the case, and just seeing the BIOS screen scared the hell out of me :lol:

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
i can understand your logic in thinking it could power it but keep in mind, the x800 agp is just that, AGP. the connections and power requirements for an AGP card and a top-o-the line PCI-e card are completely different...that is why nvidia requires more power to run the 7900gtx...hell, i doubt the PSU is going to even have the 6 pin connector needed for a pci-e card...go buy a converter from a molex i guess if you are really hell-bent on it.

maybe im wrong...just thought i would raise some points i was thinking about when i made my last post :)

riva2model64

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
I see, i see. . .a 7900 GTX and 350w should not be used together, don't no one get that wrong. . .but im just saying its possible for that to happen, not that it can safely be done. if the proc does in 120w continuous and gpu does 70w and optics do you in 20w, hd 15w etc. . .the system should run fine, but bad things will happen when components hit their maximum power draw.

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
i agree...keep in mind though, its not the watts that matter, its the amperage and most 350w only have 15amps on the 12+volt line...that's not enough to power 2HDD, a CD-ROM and my brothers 5700ultra...like you said, you can do it but any sort of load and its good night gracie...and keep in mind most 350w psu's are generic and as such there are voltage spikes and the amount of juice getting out there is not really 12v...more like 11.75 and lower voltage will damage the parts in the long run.

so our collectiveness is in agreeance...you could theoretically do it but its not realistic

jnjkele

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2005
*WARNING* - Dell no longer ships a separate resore CD - in response to the question about reformatting. They have a hidden partition on the HDD and preinstalled restore software that accesses the partition in case of re-loading. I have seen this myself with my Dell laptop and have to presume that desktops are no different - if they are still shipping restore CDs with desktops, someone please correct me. You can see the partition with something like partition magic, but it is inaccessable except for the custom dell software and you DO NOT get ANY permanent media form of restore disc.

Otherwise - all dell components are designed speicifically for Dell by various hardware manufacturers and are *slightly* different in many ways from their commercial counterparts, which makes them more difficult to upgrade.

Bottom line - if you are not planning to upgrade the PC, but intend to buy another completely new one in 1-2 years, then go dell, if you want to be able to upgrade gradually as you go, then build yourself, or find someone knowledgeable who can build it for you - you might find you will be much happier building, so that you get all of the OEM CD's and a *REAL* winXP CD of your very own with which a clean OS install can be successfully performed from scratch.

my$.02
J. Keller

yourbestfriend

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I had a dell 8400 and it was a real computer(not sure if MOBO was a industry standard but every thing else was).

it had a custum HSF for the CPU but its pretty normal stuff everywhere else. Things change could be differnt now

cheap rickety old hunk of junk... it ripped 7000+ in 3dmark05 but I upgraded the video card

The dvd rom quit and a tech came and fixed it, that was cool. Now I build and fix my own stuff

If you go to the dell forums you can read all about Dells and people
upgrading parts

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
*WARNING* - Dell no longer ships a separate resore CD - in response to the question about reformatting. They have a hidden partition on the HDD and preinstalled restore software that accesses the partition in case of re-loading. I have seen this myself with my Dell laptop and have to presume that desktops are no different - if they are still shipping restore CDs with desktops, someone please correct me. You can see the partition with something like partition magic, but it is inaccessable except for the custom dell software and you DO NOT get ANY permanent media form of restore disc.

J. Keller

Dell will sell you the restore disk at the time of purchase (its an option listed) for $10.

INeedCache

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
Why does it have to be only Dell or build? If you don't want to build, why can't you look at some other computer manufacturers? Why not at least give a look at a local builder. When someone comes into our shop with Dell ad in hand, we try to work with them and come up with something they really want for the best price we can. It's tough for the cheap ones and lots of times we just tell them to buy Dell if they just want low price. But up around $1000 we start to get very good pricewise versus Dell. Check local, you may be surprised.

TRENDING THREADS