Dell P2714T 27-Inch Touchscreen Monitor, Reviewed

Status
Not open for further replies.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
@killerclick: That, of course, is YOUR opinion. I'd rather have the option than not have the option. Maybe we should just stop providing options... ."Having to lift your hand from the keyboard to reach out and touch your monitor definitely takes more time."So does moving your hand from the mouse back to the keyboard. As it stands I do actually prefer having touch.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
@killerclick: That, of course, is YOUR opinion. I'd rather have the option than not have the option. Maybe we should just stop providing options... ."Having to lift your hand from the keyboard to reach out and touch your monitor definitely takes more time."So does moving your hand from the mouse back to the keyboard. As it stands I do actually prefer having touch.

InvalidError

Titan
@damian: having options may be nice but touch-screen on the desktop for everyday computing and productivity with touch as the primary input sounds like a horrible ergonomic disaster: to use a large touch screen, you need to bring it close to your waist to avoid excessive strain on your arms but putting the display there means having to hold your head at ridiculous angles to look at the screen which is going to strain your neck.So, touch on a large screen only makes sense for occasional/intermittent use.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010

I said it's a crappy idea that's not going to catch on, and I'd prefer not to have to pay extra for it or sacrifice other aspects of the display, like resolution in this case. That said, the companies can put their R&D and marketing $ wherever they want, not my money, but it's still dumb.

Patrick Tobin

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
After having used touch extensively on desktop, laptop and tablet form factors I have to say it works really well for a desktop system for quick hits and the such and getting in and out of stuff quickly in Windows 8, on a laptop it makes very little sense though. I would rather have it than not, but not at 1920x1080.

hannibal

Distinguished
The childrens that are now using iDevices and similar can not live with traditional display if there are these in the market. In the long run non touchable monitors are gonna die out. Sooner or later there are more of those touch orientated customer than we old fossilised normal screen users... Eventually we die out and so will normal monitors. For me touch based pad with screen would be ideal for controlling win8 in my desktop. It would be on the table just like my mouse, so I don't have ro rise my hand to do something...In few years there will be a lot of 4K monitors with touch interface, because big audience have to have them...

Patrick Tobin

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
After having used touch extensively on desktop, laptop and tablet form factors I have to say it works really well for a desktop system for quick hits and the such and getting in and out of stuff quickly in Windows 8, on a laptop it makes very little sense though. I would rather have it than not, but not at 1920x1080.

InvalidError

Titan

So instead of injuring your arms from repetitive stress holding them up in front to touch the screen, you are going to get RSI, cramps or other problems in your neck for staring at a steeper down-angle for too many hours a day... or get both problems, albeit over a longer term than either extreme, if you put the touch-screen somewhere in-between.

This is going to be 'fun' 10-20 years down the road. (As in lawsuits due to not being warned by device manufacturers that extended use of their device in a typical setup may lead to injuries.)

red77star

Honorable
Oct 16, 2013
What a bunch crap they are releasing now days just to justify existence of Windows 8 which clearly is not good enough for anything. Who needs this big touch screen...nobody.

InvalidError

Titan

On the plus side, as long as it is only the glass cover getting dirty, it is much easier to clean than a keyboard or mouse.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
The childrens that are now using iDevices and similar can not live with traditional display if there are these in the market. In the long run non touchable monitors are gonna die out. Sooner or later there are more of those touch orientated customer than we old fossilised normal screen users... Eventually we die out and so wll normal monitors.For me touch based pad with screen would be ideal for controlling win8 with my desctop. It would be on the tabel just like my mouse, so I don't have ro rise my hand to do something...In few years there will be a lot of 4K monitors with touch interface, because bid audience have to have them...
Yeah and there will be a line to the clinic with people who have shoulder problems due to the extra stress lifting an entire arm several hrs a day rather than just a hand, i doubt the touchscreens in big format will take off without the company's making them getting sued by people who will have their life destroyed due to a poor ergonomic design!

G

Is this the Dell "NSA edition"? WOW, this thing will be as popular as the OS it comes with.

game junky

Distinguished
Though I don't think everyone desires a touch-screen desktop monitor, I can see good applications for a touch screen - for companies using computer-based payroll platforms, a flat-panel all-in-one makes for a great kiosk. I saw one being used as a catalog browsing solution at a retailer as well and that made a lot of sense to me.Not everyone wants one, but there are places where these make sense

InvalidError

Titan

Kiosks is a nice use of touch since it is pretty easy to "secure" those by simply omitting unwanted access in the UI design with the rest of the system physically locked out - touch-based kiosks have been around for a long time: the first time I have seen a touch-based terminal was in a video rental store about 15 years ago and the menu was in good old 80x25 text mode.

Industrial touch applications are nice too since you can seal the display on the "dirty" hot side of the application and lock the rest on the "clean" cooled weatherproof side.

For everyday computing, touch may also have its uses such as when demonstrating stuff: instead of demonstrating software or page layouts by pointing things out on the screen with fingers and then using a keyboard/mouse to activate the object or navigate pages, clickable things can be demonstrated on-screen - you already have your fingers in there to point things out anyway.

One of the most awesomely useful devices I ever saw was a pen-input version of this. It was used for teaching in a software testing class. It had the slides on it, and the instructor could annotate the slides in real-time and, if she wished, save the annotations for the next class. It was, of course, repeated on a projector.It inspired my lifelong desire (well, all my life since them) for the ultimate smartboard. Full-color e-paper, markers, erasers, and the ability to save the screen to a thumb drive and bring the same one (or a copy) up later, halfway across the country, and continue working on it. I've seen school smartboards, but the closest that I've seen to my perfect device requires a spare room next to the conference room for the rear-projector. A front projector would have peoples' shadows.

InvalidError

Titan

Not if the projector is ceiling-mounted 12-16' off the ground... not many people would be tall enough to block that unless they are standing in front of the screen where they would be blocking the screen regardless of front or rear projection anyway.

RitiFamily

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2014
I really WAS interested in this monitor, BUT NOT at this resolution... DELL, make it 1920 x 1200 (or higher) and you got yourself a sale...

Status
Not open for further replies.