Dell Poweredge 2850 and Sony AIT-2 drive

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,comp.arch.storage (More info?)

I am trying to configure a Dell Poweredge 2850 rack server with 4 36GB
10k drives (in RAID 10 config) and a tape backup.

The only internal backup drive options that Dell seems to offer is
their PowerVault 100T DAT72 36/72GB drive. I would rather see an
internal AIT-2 drive installed in the machine instead of the the DAT72
drive.

Will a Sony AIT-2 drive fit in a PE 2850, and if so:

- has anyone sucessfully installed one?
- which model is recommended?

I was looking at the Sony AITi130/S. There will only be the 4 36GB
drives installed in the machine, so I guess that leaves two open slots
for the tape backup unit.

http://www.storagebysony.com/products/productmain.asp?id=58

The server will be running Win 2003 Server and Veritas Backup Exec 9.1
for SBS.

FYI, the AIT drive will be using the onboard SCSI, and the RAID 10
array will be controlled by a PERC4DC-PCI Express card with 128MB
cache.

any/all comments appreciated.
please reply to group and to email.

tks.

- brian

--
tired of paying interest on your credit cards?
check out http://www.zeropercentcards.com/

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windows.server.setup,comp.arch.storage (More info?)

Hi Brian,
I just picked up 4 of these 2850s. In looking at the front chassis, I
don't
think the Sony will fit. The height of the backup drive is 1.6 inches,
and
I am pretty sure that it will not mate up with the SCSI connector on
the
backplane without a "sled" from Dell, and that would make the unit too
high.
I am not sure of this, but that is how it appears to me.
I am connecting the 4 servers in a gigabit private LAN and using an
external
DAT autochanger to do my backups, if that helps at all.
Jerry