[SOLVED] Dell PowerEdge R710

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2449024

I just bought Dell PowerEdge R710 with 72 GB (18 X 4) DDR3 ECC RAM, two Quad Core Xeon CPUs and no HDD. I have SATA HDD that will fit it for a test. What os should I install? I am NOT going to use this as a server, just for fun. I want to decide between Windows 10 Professional and Windows Server 2016.

Solution

With a 'server', boot time is far less of a consideration than with a regular PC. It takes longer, because the system is doing a whole lot more internal checks.

Long boot time doesn't matter, because they are rarely turned off.

kanewolf

Titan
What does "fun" mean? Three GPUS for machine learning? 10GE card? RAID controller? The kinds of devices you are going to have may guide you to your OS choice. Some times drivers for specific hardware are only available for one OS or the other.

magmgarcia

Prominent
Nov 9, 2018
hello, I think windows server 2016 is right because of this O.S was made for this hardware,
I read in Microsoft forum people having problems for install windows 10 on servers,
however, if you can try both

D

Deleted member 2449024

Actually, I tried Server 2008 R2, Windows 7 Ultimate, and Windows 10 Pro. All recognized my 72 GB of RAM and worked great. The only thing that I hate is very long boot - Configuring Memory. Windows 10 is a little laggy. I think that is because of the lack of graphical memory. I think that if I put in normal graphics card this server would run modern games nicely.

USAFRet

Titan

With a 'server', boot time is far less of a consideration than with a regular PC. It takes longer, because the system is doing a whole lot more internal checks.

Long boot time doesn't matter, because they are rarely turned off.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.