Dell prebuilt vs building that same myself

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

unlv-grad-student

Honorable
Mar 25, 2012
Alright, so I decided to get a new computer for the release of Diablo 3. After spending close to 5 hours on the internet trying to figure out exactly the best bang for my dollar I kept straying back to Dell.

So long story short I purchased a Dell XPS 830 brand new for $870 with the following specs.

1 XPS 8300 Intel Core i7-2600 processor(8MB Cache, 3.4GHz)
1 8GB DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz - 4x2GB
1 Dell Consumer Multimedia Keyboard
1 AMD Radeon HD 6770
1 1TB Serial ATA 2 Hard Drive 7200 RPM
1 Windows Live Wave 4
1 You have chosen a Windows 7 System
1 Dell Resource DVD with Application Backup
1 Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, English, No Media
1 Dell USB 6-Button Laser Mouse
1 Add 2 USB 3.0 ports
1 16x DVDRW Drive
1 THX TruStudio
Subtotal: $806.72
Shipping and Handling: $0.00
Tax Total: $63.96
Total Amount: $870.68

Now, I was bored so I figured I would see how much this same build (roughly) would cost if I were to build it myself.

$300 - Intel Core i7-2600
$120 - Half way decent motherboard
$100 - 1Tb harddrive (similar to the one it came with)
$100 - 8gb ram (similar to the one it came with)
$50 - case
$50 - power supply 500 watts (closest i could find to 460)
$110 - AMD Radeon HD 6770
$100 - for win 7
$80 - for extra wires, heatsink (if needed), and misc parts/labor
$20 dvd drive

Total - $1030 (not including shipping or tax)

Now, the reason I went and put all this up is because I wanted the community's feedback on the purchase. I also wanted to know why exactly Dell gets such a bad wrap and time n time again people say, "Save money and build it yourself!" when I think you can get a hell of a build from Dell for roughly the same price (if not cheaper).
So please guys let me know your thoughts on the matter. Feel free to check my numbers or even add your own computer build for comparison purposes.

-Justin

Solution
OK, first of all, if I go to the Dell website and duplicate what you have, it won't give me a price less than $940. Maybe I'm missing something there, but that's roughly what I would expect them to charge for a $750-$800 system.

That is ignoring the fact that, as others have said, Dell will give you bargain-basement parts and limited if any upgrade options. You're never putting an Ivy Bridge CPU in that machine or crossfiring two video cards if you need to later; their setup won't allow it.

If I were to build a machine to the same or better quality standards you're likely to get with Dell, I'd probably do something like this:

Intel i5-2500k - $220
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072&Tpk=i5-2500k

JetWay...

Enjoy your system then. Clearly you are here to troll.

Come back when you have some benchmarks to back up your system performance. Mine is posted.

As for the college, I'm the one in the community college. So in theory, you have a higher education than I. I guess they don't have maturity 101 in a university either.

KNO3

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009

The fun part here is that if he had the same system, but a k processor and an unlocked bios he could blow you out of the water. But..... Dell lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.