[SOLVED] Dell Precision 3620 Processor Cooling Method

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Hi Gang

I'm interested in a Dell Precision 3620 4.20GHz i7-7700. When comparing the appearance of the processor to earlier models, (like the 3620 Intel Core i7-6700 3.40GHz), the faster processor appears to be cooled by fins (or) maybe water cooled? I do not see a typical fan? Can you guys take a looksee and provide an opinion? I prefer the faster speed but would rather not get involed in anything 'Hy Brid' (or) problematic. Thank You

Here you see the Core i7-6700 3.40GHz (with a typical cooling fan)

i7-3GHz.jpg

And here you see the Core i7-7700 4.20GHz (with either cooling fins or possibly water cooled? Not sure?
i7-4GHz.jpg

Is anyone familiar with this arrangement/set up? Issues? Or considered just a contemporary design?

Thank You

Last edited:

Coast Guard

Commendable
Dec 14, 2021
Hello rgd!

Are you suggesting the normal configuration like the 3620 Core i7-6700 3.40GHz, (with typical cooling fans no air cooler) is a better approach? The 4.2 is faster though yes? And aside from being a Dell, are there any other 'known issues' with the 4.2 Ghz?

Thank You!

Last edited:
no. the tower cooler on the (k) is better than that mini cpu cooler
Except it lacks a fan to push air through the fins. No air flow means dead zones will trap the heat being generated. It would be interesting which is actually cooling it's CPU better. Of course, rigging a fan on the tower would probably yield marvelous results.

Another one of Dell's feats of "value" engineering mystery.

As a second thought: could it possibly be missing a plastic shroud tunneling airflow to the exhaust fan? That would improve it's efficiency considerably and is something I've seen Dell do on several other systems.

Reactions: Coast Guard