Question Dell Precision 5560: Kingston RAM upgrade - system won't boot ?

Jan 17, 2023
I have a Dell Precision 5560 with 32Gb DDR4 RAM that I want to upgrade to 64Gb. According to the system specifications, it supports up to 64Gb. The current installed RAM is 2x16Gb 3200MHz Samsung SO-DIMMS (m471a2g43bb2-cwe). Expecting no issues, I bought a pair of Kingston 32Gb 3200MHz Kingston SO-DIMMS (KF432S20IBK2/64).

Unfortunately, after I installed the new SO-DIMMS, the system won't boot. The front LED just blinks 2+5 times, which according to Dell's documentation means "incompatible memory".

Reading all the specs for both the laptop and for the memory, I can not figure out why this memory upgrade is incompatible with the system. What am I missing?

I have a Dell Precision 5560 with 32Gb DDR4 RAM that I want to upgrade to 64Gb. According to the system specifications, it supports up to 64Gb. The current installed RAM is 2x16Gb 3200MHz Samsung SO-DIMMS (m471a2g43bb2-cwe). Expecting no issues, I bought a pair of Kingston 32Gb 3200MHz Kingston SO-DIMMS (KF432S20IBK2/64).

Unfortunately, after I installed the new SO-DIMMS, the system won't boot. The front LED just blinks 2+5 times, which according to Dell's documentation means "incompatible memory".

Reading all the specs for both the laptop and for the memory, I can not figure out why this memory upgrade is incompatible with the system. What am I missing?
Proper bios?

Test one stick of ram at a time see what the results are.

Jan 17, 2023
Proper bios?

Test one stick of ram at a time see what the results are.

I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest (1.17, released on 13 Jan 2023).

I tried one stick at a time, in slot one and slot two, and the result is the same. The system just won't boot with these sticks.

Switching back to the original memory sticks works fine though.

Jan 17, 2023
Dells can be notoriously picky in terms of compatible memory. Sounds like this is one of those situations.

Aside from Dell's site, I suggest looking here:

https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/dell/precision-5560

Keep in mind that mixing/matching memory can produce undesirable results. For best performance, all installed memory should be 100% identical.
Thanks, I ordered a new set of 2x32Gb Crucial sticks that are listed on that page as compatible with this laptop. I hope those will work better.