Dell Precision 650 graphics card Question

B3N50N

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
Hello,
why is a gaming graphics card a bad idea for video editing?

From what I've read it's better to buy a card made for video editing but perhaps for my situation it doesn't matter. I'm wanting to learn video editing and am on the tightest of budgets. I picked up an old Dell Precision 650 for practically nothing.

The catch? It has no video card. Yes, I know AGP is a dead end but please refer to my budget.

I want to know, what is the best card for video editing on this old system?

FYI, I would like to edit HD footage eventually if that's at all possible with this computer, and I'm undecided as to what Editor I'll use. Maybe someone can suggest one. Am I wrong in thinking I'm limited to running XP pro on this rig?

Thankyou for your time.

B3N50N

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2010
thanks for the reply guy guys.

@borisof007, I'm willing to spend $100 give or take. Something second hand as that will be cheapest.
I want the best card but i also don't need to buy more card than I need as I suspect this computer will bottleneck it.

@unknown_13, dual 3.06GHz Xeons. FSB 533. 460-watt power supply.
The HD4670 looks like a nice card and a definite contender with the 3850 i was thinking about getting. I was also considering the quadro FX 4000 but both these cards are becoming difficult to find and might be overkill for this system.

@wa1, I have heard this before but I have also heard some adobe products are supposedly tailored to work with certain video cards. Correct me if I'm wrong as my ignorance is my reason for posting.
thankyou.