Dell Precision 670 Bios problem

peyates

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Upgrading drives. I pulled the SCSI controller card and two SCSI drives. Replaced SCSI drives with a 500GB SATA drive plugged into SATA0 on MB and a 1TB SATA plugged into the SATA1 on MB. Bios sees both, Changed boot sequence to 1) CD ROM 2) SATA 3)Floppy Trying to boot from CD but getting "No boot device available". When the 670 boots it shows all green lights on the front but a black screen with a flashing cursor in top left. After a moment the floppy light comes on but the CD Rom never spun up. I hear two short beeps and the the light turn (l to r) green and one yellow (last light on right). I then see the message "No boot device available" F1 for retry boot, F2 for setup. Checked bios. Sees drives in correct position, see CD ROM. Boot sequence is as set.

I came across something interesting in your manual - not what I was looking for or expecting, under "Installing Hard Drive" it states "SATA2_0 is the bootable connector." so try your SATA2_ port for the HDD.
Honestly here I was looking for where to change the HDD type to AHCI or IDE (I suspect it is currently set to "RAID")

peyates

Reputable
May 15, 2014
Here is what I did. Since the Win 7 I was trying to load is on DVD media and I could not get the CD ROM or the DVD to spin up. I unplugged the CD ROM ( which was set as Master) and plugged the first cable into the DVD. Upon reboot the workstation chirped that the CD ROM was no longer attached and offered F1 to continue. Selecting F1 and Windows spun up. Yeah! After loading Win 7 and the reboot, went into the bios changed the boot sequence so that the SATA was first boot.