Dell precision 7510 vs. XPS 15

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relaxaqueencaxa

Reputable
May 11, 2015
Hello guys.

I am looking for a new laptop. I am an IT engineer which means it wil be mostly used for programming or running virtual machines (i use vmware heavily).

I read that precision stations are better for work and designers because of their gpus while XPSs are more premium laptops and for gaming. I am looking for a physically robust laptop not for gaming at all which can handle virtualization well. I am becoming inclined to the 7510. Yet i cannot find opinions/reviews on the laptop, not even on amazon or newegg. I believe this happens because the laptop is very recent and hardly anyone has it. Does anyone have a word of advice?

Kind regards fellow techy friends.

BDockS

Commendable
May 19, 2016

Hi !

thank you sooo much for the quick and clear answer !

the clue was to add a PCIe first and then choose the 2nd HD

and for the seal part of my post, lenovo business laptops are now sealed for processor and memory. I just find out this today so i wanted to be sure ;)

Your tip for the 2nd PCIe slot is really interesting ! I plan to have a 2,5 + a PCIe so I'm not "concerned" but might be usefull

thx again !

soko80

Commendable
Apr 6, 2016
No prob!

Didn't know that about Lenovo, a bummer! I had IBM, then Lenovo and now swapped to Dell cause the IBM/Lenovo business notebooks are getting worse and worse...

V Shekhar Avasthy

Reputable
Jun 17, 2015
Thanks for sharing your experience. I had ordered a Lenovo P50 (i7-6820HQ/ 64GB RAM/ 512GB M.2/ 1TB SATA 5400 RPM) - to my surprise, Lenove's customer care (at least in in India) is HOPELESSLY PATHETIC. The make false promises, do not deliver on time, and when I cancelled the order even before shipping, the kind of torture I had to go thru was extreme! I tried escalating to Lenovo India then Asia-Pacific then Lenovo worldwide, used their Facebook as well as Twitter handle - NO ONE CARED TO EVEN ACKNOWLEDGE OR RESPOND! I won't ever go for any Lenovo product ever! They are just not interested in listening to the customer...

rp2004

Commendable
Jan 30, 2017

Hi simonize

Thank you very much for your explanation. I have Dell precision 7710 with 4x16=64gB of DDR4 RAM .
CPUz shows the memory operating in Dual mode. Shouldn't it be Quad mode? If yes what to do to fix that?

Status
Not open for further replies.