[SOLVED] Dell Precision M6800 upgrade to 32GB ram and i7 4810MQ benchmark score issue ..

May 6, 2020
Hello,
I hope someone can help me to understand what is going on.

I have Dell Precision M6800 with i7 4810MQ (originally came with duel core i5) and K4100 GPU @ 4gb and 16 gb ram.
Couple days ago I decided to install an additional 16gb of ram, into slots C and D , totaling together to 4x8gb=32gb of ram.
The upgrade went good, and system and bios detected 32gb of ram.

The laptop runs just fine, and i have been testing it for the last couple of days under heavy loads of Revit and AutoCad.
Before this upgrade was done, i benchmarked this laptop in several software just to see what if any change i'll get in scores.
Video Card Nvidia Quadro K4100M @ 4gm is been benching the same before and after the RAM upgrade, which i expected.

However, and this is a question:
Before upgrade with 16GB ram my CPU i7 4810MQ was producing the following results:

CINEBENCH R15 - 685cb
GEEKBENCH 5 - single core( 940) multi core (3383)
CPU-Z - single (378.6) multi (1955)
AIDA64 Extreme 44643

After upgrade to 32GB:
CINEBENCH R15 - 615
GEEKBENCH 5 - single core(878) multi core (3084)
CPU-Z - single (369) multi (1700)
AIDA64 Extreme 41466

As you can see the CPU score went down all across the board in every test, i was wondering if someone can enplane why this is happening ?
I did try to google this , however nothing useful came up.

Thank you

Solution
Can't say for certain, since it's a Dell. However, in the BIOS you may be able to enable "optimized defaults," but that option may not be there. There could just be a "restore defaults" option. These BIOSes only have functional options enabled. Anything relating to performance has been pre-set for stability.

Just know that this shouldn't be a big issue. More RAM is usually installed because you are over-saturating the amount you had previously (and hitting the page file too much). So any small numbers lost in benchmark scores should be comparatively unnoticeable.
What speed was your RAM running before and after the upgrade? Generally, RAM automatically will clock down (either timings or speed) when going from 2 to 4 slots filled, assuming no RAM settings aren't manually changed - which typically aren't available to be changed in a laptop anyway.

May 6, 2020
What speed was your RAM running before and after the upgrade? Generally, RAM automatically will clock down (either timings or speed) when going from 2 to 4 slots filled, assuming no RAM settings aren't manually changed - which typically aren't available to be changed in a laptop anyway.
the ram was at 1333 , and i got another 2 sticks at the same speed 1300

Can't say for certain, since it's a Dell. However, in the BIOS you may be able to enable "optimized defaults," but that option may not be there. There could just be a "restore defaults" option. These BIOSes only have functional options enabled. Anything relating to performance has been pre-set for stability.

Just know that this shouldn't be a big issue. More RAM is usually installed because you are over-saturating the amount you had previously (and hitting the page file too much). So any small numbers lost in benchmark scores should be comparatively unnoticeable.

Reactions: pastarojna
Solution
May 6, 2020

Great,
Thank you for this info, i will look for it inside the Bios.
Its not a big issue, i just wanted to know why this is happening ...
Thanks again