Question Dell precision T3500 motherboard failure?

chapig_396

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
Hello,

I have owned this T3500 for about 4 years, and worked perfectly until I recently installed a GTX 1660 Super. Previously I had used a GTX 1060 for about 8 months with zero issues. At first, the PC ran fine with the 1660 Super, ran heaven benchmark and no crashes. The next morning 4 out of 6 of my RAM sticks failed. Recognized - but hardware reserved (I should note this RAM is a different brand). The PC still booted into windows with 4gb in single channel but worked and seemed pretty stable. Then about 2 weeks after the PC started blue screening after 2-3 minutes in windows the PC would restart, and 2-3 minutes later would bluescreen again.

I suspect the GTX 1660 has somehow fried the Motherboard. I don't see visual damage though. I should mention I am running it through a 6 to 8 pin adapter and the PSU is stock 525w, but I've seen many users running a similar setup with no problems.

I've considered buying new RAM but not sure if this would help if the motherboard is damaged and would rather save the money.

Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated,

Lutfij

Titan
When you state this,
(I should note this RAM is a different brand).
do you mean you're mixing and matching ram sticks?

Make and model of your PSU? How old is the unit at this point of time? You might want to think about a donor PSU to fire up the system, since it might very well be a PSU that's incapable of delivering power to all your components.

Latest BIOS version on said motherboard?

chapig_396

Prominent
Sep 29, 2021
Hello, and thanks for your time
Yeah, when I bought the PC as refurbished it came with 4 sticks of one brand and 2 of another. Bought it about 4 years ago and had no RAM issues whatsoever.
PSU is dell D525AF-00. Not sure exactly how old because I bought refurbished but could potentially be up to 10 years.
I do currently have the latest BiOS I believe it is A17.
I have switched back to a GTX 1050Ti to make sure there are no power delivery issues but theres the possibility that running the slightly more powerful 1660 through an adapter ruined the PSU or motherboard