Dell Precision T5500 won't POST, PSU acting wonky (no PSU fans)

BPCadet

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
I have an old Dell Precision T5500 which I'm trying to get running. Up until about 15 minutes ago, it worked fine. After opening it up to take a photo of the hard drives and closing it back up, it wouldn't turn on.

I tried the little "test button" on the back of the PSU. When I do that, the CPU and GPU fans turn on, but not the PSU fan.

I tried the trick of sticking a wire between the fourth and fifth pins of the motherboard connector, and the case fans turned on - but not the PSU fan.

And when I plug it in, absolutely nothing happens, even though the PSU clearly receiving power (I tested the cable).

Is this a dud PSU? Should I try to replace it? Is there some weird quirk with dell PCs I should know about that could stop it from powering on correctly?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Jonah

Solution
You will need to try a new PSU - - if it's fan is not running it's clearly faulty, the fact that it's receiving power doesn't mean it can't be faulty.

You need a fully working PSU to start with before you have any chance of finding out what else (if anything) is wrong with your PC.
You will need to try a new PSU - - if it's fan is not running it's clearly faulty, the fact that it's receiving power doesn't mean it can't be faulty.

You need a fully working PSU to start with before you have any chance of finding out what else (if anything) is wrong with your PC.

Solution

BPCadet

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012

All right, thanks :)