Question Dell Precision T5810

zakiyquantum

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Do you think I'm waisting my money on this build or am i getting a solid PC at a budget price? I have a GTX 1070 i can install from my previous rig.

Dell Precision bare bones $ 189.00
CPU $244.98 INTEL XEON PROCESSOR E5-2680V3
Memory $79.99 CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2666
Adapter $14.99 PCIe Adapter for m.2
Hard Drive $249.99 Western Digital WD BLACK SN750 NVMe

Total: $ 778.95

Is this dell compatible with that CPU?

zakiyquantum

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Unless you need a server or workstation, that kind of money would buy you a nice new gaming build to wrap around your GTX 1070. If gaming is what you're after, that is.

I would be using this for gaming. How is this any different than a gaming PC? I've read that XEONs and i5s & i7s get almost identical performance. I dont see how this would be any different than a high end gaming PC. This CPU has very high ratings on cpubenchmark.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5-2680+v3+@+2.50GHz&id=2390

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Oh, it would be good as a gaming PC. I was just pointing out that with $778 you could build a faster, new, modern gaming platform if you didn't need the server/workstation capabilities of the refurbished Dell. Especially since you already have the gfx card.

Granted, the processor has 12C/24T. But as well-threaded as games are today, that is more threads than can be used. And you trade clock speed for that. 2.5GHz/3.3GH Turbo isn't all that fast today. Games like high IPC and fast clocks.

You were asking if we thought you were wasting your money or getting a solid build for that cost. I guess the answer is 'both'. Yes, it will be a solid build, but since you could do better for the money, it is a bit of a waste IMO.

zakiyquantum

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Oh, it would be good as a gaming PC. I was just pointing out that with $778 you could build a faster, new, modern gaming platform if you didn't need the server/workstation capabilities of the refurbished Dell. Especially since you already have the gfx card.

Granted, the processor has 12C/24T. But as well-threaded as games are today, that is more threads than can be used. And you trade clock speed for that. 2.5GHz/3.3GH Turbo isn't all that fast today. Games like high IPC and fast clocks.

You were asking if we thought you were wasting your money or getting a solid build for that cost. I guess the answer is 'both'. Yes, it will be a solid build, but since you could do better for the money, it is a bit of a waste IMO.

What CPU would you recommend to start a build that would get me more for the money?

zakiyquantum

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
What other parts can come over? Case? Is the power supply quality?

Definitely some money that can be used towards better ends. You're probably overpaying on NVMe storage, given the overall budget, for example.

I have a power supply (not current build), GPU and 2x HDD i can transfer over.

EVEGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2
GTX 1070
Samsung - 860 PRO 256GB
Samsung - 860 EVO 1TB

I'm actually currently using a dell T3500! If you can believe it. It performs games decently, but recently has started crashing, etc. It's an old computer.

I don't know where to start with a CPU and motherboard. The LGA2066 chip set seems overpriced and overkill. What CPU and motherboard could you recommend?

Will i really see an upgrade in speed with the NVMe?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Ah... the Precison T3500. Had one of those myself. Xeon 3670 6C/12T and a GTX 980 at the time. At 1080p/60hz it was indeed a good gaming PC. And cost me next to nothing refurbished.

There are lots of build ideas on the web. Search for "$900 gaming PC build" and see what pops up. Why $900? Because you already have the gfx card and PSU plus storage. Minus the cost of those items, it should be right in your budget range.

TRENDING THREADS