Dell precision workstation upgrade with i7?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

TwinDenis

Distinguished
May 8, 2014
Hello, I have a dell precision t3600 desktop workstation with an xeon e-1620, 8gb ram that came with it and upgraded to gtx980 from quadro 600, I was looking into upgrading the pc to a gaming pc gradually, I get lower fps in some games and I have heard that it is caused by the game being cpu dependant so I was hoping if I could upgrade to a i7 cpu from my xeon on this motherboard. If you ask about what motherboard I have, well it is obviously manufactured by dell so it is the same as my pc model and came with it.
so my main question is if it is compatible with the i7 4ghz+ models that come out on the market right now.

Solution

TwinDenis,

While it seems an i7 should work in a Precision T3600- the E5-1620 (LGA2011, 4-core@ 3.5...

TwinDenis,

My thought was that it will not harm the system to run on 6GB if the number of big programs is managed. Video editing is very demanding but if the system runs out it will slow and swap to the disk. You can do a test is you need to keep working.

Yes, I think having two RAM modules to allow it to be doubled is a good idea. I bought my current HP z420 with 8 RAM slots with 4X 4GB and after a few months, added the other 4X 4GB. IMy first z420 I made the mistake of buying with 4X 2GB and added 4X4GB to have 24GB, but as it is quad channel, the memory performance would have been better with two sets of four identical modules- the same with the T3600. And the latency of 7 is really really low. The latency of DDR4-2133 is 15.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

TwinDenis

Distinguished
May 8, 2014

so at the end of the day is it a good thing?
ps: I still get the stutter/choppy fps even with 6gb. I mean to say that if it is the faulty module the one that I removed, which I doubt, it doesnt affect, but it could do overall good to replace them all with the ones in question, latency 7 is pretty good is it not?
Cheers.

TwinDenis,

Yes, increasing the quantity, and lowering the latency of the RAM is going to be a good thing. DDR3-1600 ECC is CAS 11 by the way. There is no absolute guarantee that the stuttering will be completely cured, as some people think this (in LoL) is caused by vsync and another comment was multiple sound driver conflict, so you might also look into those possibilities while waiting for the new RAM, just to make sure.

Cheers,

BambiBoom

TwinDenis

Distinguished
May 8, 2014

BambiBoom,
Yes I did investigate these possibilities, even drivers and ethernet, I talked to their support as well as blizzard support for heroes of the storm which stutters even more, with or without vsync. While we cannot disable both audio drivers because one is for HDMI which many people confuse it for double audio driver and the other is for speakers or what we could call Jak plug, or something like that.
So we just disable the nvidia one and the other works fine, but what you refer to is commonly refered to as DPC Latency, which is perfectly fine for me. Balanced green low to balanced green high, up to a max of yellow - green when running many things. So never red or audio buzzings.

Anyway, is it okay that it is not ECC? Will this hurt my performance anyhow?
Also is it compatible with my system overall, processor and such?