dell printers

I'm sure this has been around a million times, here comes a million and one.
Is the Dell a940 printer the same as the Lexmark x5150? Are the ink
cartridges the same (only cheaper)?

TIA

Greg

GSTaylor <GTaylor8960@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I'm sure this has been around a million times, here comes a million and one.
> Is the Dell a940 printer the same as the Lexmark x5150? Are the ink
> cartridges the same (only cheaper)?

The Dell printers are manufactured by Lexmark but, as far as I
understand it, there isn't an exact one-to-one coreespondence between
the models. I believe also that the Dell ink cartridges are subtly
different from the standard Lexmark ones although I think you can
modify Lexmark ones to work in a Dell badged printer.

--
Chris Green

"GSTaylor" <GTaylor8960@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I'm sure this has been around a million times, here comes a million and
one.
> Is the Dell a940 printer the same as the Lexmark x5150? Are the ink
> cartridges the same (only cheaper)?

If dell printers are the same as their computers then it will be a modified
Lexmark.
A dell soundblaster Live card is modified and not supported by Creative Labs
A dell power supply is modified (it has a extra wire) and cannot be replaced
with a standard power supply (I think you can get an adaptor).
The reason they do this is to tie you to their products (at a premium). A
standard power supply costs around £15-£20 whereas a dell power supply will
set you back around £60.
As their ads say 'as expensive as dell' - or was it 'as easy as dell'

--
Patrick