Dell Processor Survey

Lexington

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2001
Dell has posted a processor survey where you can vote for your processor of choice. It looks like they are considering offering an AMD processor in their machines. Go vote for your fav.

<A HREF="http://www.dell.com/html/us/segments/dhs/intel_amd_survey.htm?keycode=6Vc00&DGVCode=EM" target="_new">http://www.dell.com/html/us/segments/dhs/intel_amd_survey.htm?keycode=6Vc00&DGVCode=EM</A>

G

Did you notice that their page doesn't work right?

The radio buttons for questions 2 (most preferred processor) are in the same "domain" as those for question 3 (least preferred processor). You can only make one selection from all of the choices in questions 2 & 3.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

G

That's how it's supposed to work.

----------
I am, you know I am. I am Canadian.

G

>That's how it's supposed to work.

Huh?
So, you can either answer question 2 <i>or</i> question 3, but not both? That doesn't make much sense.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My answers, totally non-biased :)

1. P<i>!!!</i>, P4
2. P<i>!!!</i>
3. Athlon

Intel - AMD
10 - 1
5 - 6
4 - 7
5 - 6
11 - 0

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

RCPilot

Champion
It's about time that Dell woke up & smelled the roses. If it doesn't offer AMD, they can count on more lost sales with the crippled P4. I think it's funnier than hell though that Dell doesn't have the balls to just go out & buy AMD chips & put them out. Afraid of slapping the hand that used to feed them????? Get a life Dell & look at the real world for a change. Gateway saw the light quite a while ago.

I still believe that you should build your own, then & only then will you know what you have. For the many that can't or won't build, they should have the choice of what to put in it, not Dell. Dell just want's to make money & dosen't really care much beyond that. Optimized MOBO's, underpowered power supplies, & sound & audio integrated in most cases. Just try & upgrade a Dell & see what you run into.

Just my $.02

Skinny

How do you eat a elephant? One bite at a time!

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
So, just choose one for most preferred, another for least preferred and the rest are just somewhere in the middle. Of course choosing the same one for most and least wouldn't make sense.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

Lexington

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2001
I agree with you. I think Dell should sell AMD processors in their systems. I build my own systems, and I use both AMD and Intel. Those are choices I made at the time I built a particular system. I think that by including AMD in their systems, Dell could attract buyers that they don't appeal to currently. I would think that Dell can only increase sales by giving their customers more choices.

G

>consider has a different meaning than prefer.

So, what's your point??

Only the first question asks which you would consider. That, appropriately, has check boxes so you can select multiple answers.

From the link:
<font color=red>2. If you were purchasing a new personal computer for your household today, which one of the following processors
would you MOST prefer and why? <b>(Please select one)</b></font color=red>

Since they only want one answer, they use radio buttons.

<font color=red>3. If you were purchasing a new personal computer for your household today, which one of the following processors
would you LEAST prefer and why? <b>(Please select one)</b></font color=red>

So, they want two answers total (most prefered, least prefered), yet you can only give one answer.

Still looks busted to me.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

G

>So, just choose one for most preferred, another for least preferred...

That's just my point. You can't choose one for each. Out of the 12 selections between question 2 and question 3, only one can be chosen.

Back to basics...
If I click on "Intel Celeron" for question 2, I get a little black mark in the circle to the left of that choice.

Now, if I click on "AMD Athlon" in question 3 I get a little black mark in it's circle <b><i>AND</i></b> the black mark I previously made next to the "Intel Celeron" in question 2 disapears.

I'm not trying to be condescending. I'm beginning to think my browser (ie5.5) is behaving differently from everyone else's. Try it.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

AEboy128

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2001
I think it would be nice to see dell have amd in their systems. I would have bought a dell but i wanted an AMD so that didn't work out too well. But dell makes great systems, they would probably make a very good system with amd processors.

Im savin up for a Cobra!! Hehe!!

Lexington

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2001
Yes. I think that Dell is at a point now where it can no longer ignore AMD. They do have a processor that performs well, and they are growing in popularity. With the PC market in the current state that it's in, Dell will need to do whatever they can to keep selling PCs. If they ignore the people out there that want an AMD based system, they may see their profits shrink as a result.

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
<<<Yes. I think that Dell is at a point now where it can no longer ignore AMD.>>>

why being #1 isn't enough

<<<They do have a processor that performs well, and they are growing in popularity. With the PC market in the current state that it's in, Dell will need to do whatever they can to keep selling PCs.>>>

putting amd/via combination in pc's when the intel machines they have work fine seems like fixing something thats not broken.

<<<If they ignore the people out there that want an AMD based system, they may see their profits shrink as a result.>>>

almost everybody that wants amd builds their own or something thats made with actuall parts not dell propietary parts.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
why being #1 isn't enough
It can be easily taken away as it did to Compaq 2 year ago!

putting amd/via combination in pc's when the intel machines they have work fine seems like fixing something thats not broken.
You seem to forget that VIA is no longer the only chipset for AMD.
AMD 760, SIS 735, Ali Magik and the upcoming NVIDIA NForce (I think this is the one if Dell ever uses AMD).

:smile: Good or Bad have no meaning at all, depends on what your point of view is.

G

Check out WWW.AMDZone.com . They mention the same problems you are (all) are having. I didn't notice the first time I went through it. The best part is when you split the 11 points up.

The survey is a JOKE. It doesn't work right, why did Dell even bother....

<font color=red>AMD Lemmings, Intel Lemmings - They all taste like chicken....</font color=red>

FatBurger

Illustrious
Maybe they didn't. Maybe it's the hacker that broke into NASA last week...

Seriously though, a good point was raised by someone a few posts above me (can't remember who right now), that the majority people who build their own systems want AMD, and the majority who buy prebuilt from a major retailer want Intel. Now, that's not a strict rule of course, but that's pretty true overall.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

>putting amd/via combination in pc's when the intel
>machines they have work fine seems like fixing something
>thats not broken.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=faq&notfound=1&code=1" target="_new">My app runs about 43% faster</A>, clock for clock, on an Athlon. Dell likely won't get my business with a PIII. One of the offices I work out of is Die-Hard for Dell. That might be changing since I showed them those benchmarks. Of course, our machines are more workstation, then a typical desktop.

That said, I just talked to a Dell rep a few minutes ago. He said that about 80% of their business is corporate desktops where performance isn't really an issue. Offering AMD isn't likely to help them their.

Offering Duron's could be a good move in the value market, where the profit margins are thinner and the performance difference wrt the Celeron is greater.

Athlons will only help in the tech-savvy, performance oriented market. And, as you said, they aren't likely to be buying a Dell regardless.

That could change if the 760MP proves rock-solid. They'll start bleeding sales in the higher margin SMP workstation & server market.

And finally, I found the Dell rep that I talked to amazingly condescending, considering how little he actually knew :smile:

My $0.02

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

MadCat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2001
The HTML radio set name for question 2 and 3 has the name "most_prefer". So if you voted P4 as the least desirable processor in question 3, it will be recorded as the most preferred processor.

<A HREF="http://www.amdzone.com/" target="_new">AMD Zone: Thursday, June 28, 2001: *ell Survey Rigged?
</A>

kurokaze

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2001
hmm.. looks like you're right.. not having done
any sort of HTML in ages, what does the ID attribute
do in the INPUT tag?

Intel Components, AMD Components... all made in Taiwan!

kaz

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
And I was hoping Dell was ready to offer their customers some choice. I answered their survey and noticed something was weird, but I didn't clue in on what it was.

G

>*ell Survey Rigged?

Never attribute malice to something that can be explained by incompetance :smile:

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's why I marked it "PowerPC", I would rather have the craptacular PIV or the lowly Celeron over that.

Let them stew over that one, I hope more people hit that one than anything else as that would make the PowerPC processor the most "preferred" according to their very rigged survey.

Check out my rig:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by DSutcliffe on 06/29/01 03:06 AM.</EM></FONT></P>