Dell Provides Details on $24.4 Billion Buyout, Lawsuit Surfaces

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnners2981

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2010
[citation][nom]wannabepro[/nom]Wait, 2 million or billion from Microsoft? I'm pretty sure that's a typo..[/citation]
Yeah it's supposed to be two billion

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
Makes me a bit sad to see MS "bribing" a company that just started offering Ubuntu laptops to refocus on the cesspool that is windows 8

Thunderfox

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006
[citation][nom]tobalaz[/nom]Makes me a bit sad to see MS "bribing" a company that just started offering Ubuntu laptops to refocus on the cesspool that is windows 8[/citation]
They've been offering Ubuntu laptops for years. The fact that you didn't know that is a testament to how much anybody cares.

Windows 8 does suck though.

didgetmaster

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2012
So a private equity deal is being put together that is willing to offer existing shareholders 25% more for their shares than the market says they are worth trading on the open market, and some lawyer files suit saying that they are trying to buy it "on the cheap". If I were the judge in that case, I would ask her why she did not buy up as many Dell shares as she could possibly afford if she thought it was worth so much more. No good answer - then case dismissed.

I wonder why lawyers are held in such low regard?!?

renosablast

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, let see now, you are being offered 25% more than your shares' current market value, and that constitutes be bought out "on the cheap". Glad your crystal ball is so convinced that this new partnership is going to be wildly successful. If you are so convinced of this, then merely re-invest your buyout windfall in either Microsoft or SilverLake.

ven1ger

Honorable
Jul 25, 2012
[citation][nom]Thunderfox[/nom]They've been offering Ubuntu laptops for years. The fact that you didn't know that is a testament to how much anybody cares. Windows 8 does suck though.[/citation]

AFAIK, their Linux offerings have been on and off again several times. I don't think it is a testament that not many care, but I think it is because it is extremely difficult to find it on Dell's website. Not to mention the fact that on the website, there is the phrase "Dell Recommends Windows", which doesn't help.

Sad that Dell doesn't really promote their Linux offerings but the lack of interest is more of Dell's doing than anything else, especially they probably have sold some but it is just not a big enough selling point for them to put much effort into it.

[citation][nom]ven1ger[/nom]AFAIK, their Linux offerings have been on and off again several times. I don't think it is a testament that not many care, but I think it is because it is extremely difficult to find it on Dell's website. Not to mention the fact that on the website, there is the phrase "Dell Recommends Windows", which doesn't help. Sad that Dell doesn't really promote their Linux offerings but the lack of interest is more of Dell's doing than anything else, especially they probably have sold some but it is just not a big enough selling point for them to put much effort into it.[/citation]

At least in the last several years, I have yet to see a time where Dell didn't have easily found Ubuntu and Redhat options available.

Status
Not open for further replies.