Gordon B

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
I have a dell computer and the PSU fan died. i replaced it with this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999199
thinking that nearly 25 cfm would be an upgrade.
the problem is that my case fan now overpowers the PSU fan (both are intakes, case has no exhaust fans) and air actually blows OUT the psu fan despite it working as an intake.

i downloaded speedfan as a temporary fix and learned that if i put my other fan (a 92 mm) at 46%, that is about the break even point where air neither goes in or out.

speedfan doesnt show the PSU fan at all, probably because its a 2 pin connection.
is there any way i can tell if the fan is running at full speed?
it doesnt seem like it is to me and it certainly doesnt feel like 25 CFM

the 92mm at 100% blows nearly 4 times more air (feels like)

help

Gordon B

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
i found this on the MOBO down at the bottom.
is this a fan connection?
DSC01143.jpg

i dont have any other 3 pin connections anywhere and my PSU doesnt have any 4pin MOLEX connections at all
i do however have about 3 extra SATA power connectors

OK well the fan on your PSU should be blowing out not pulling in you dont want the heat from the PSU to be put back into the case that is not how it works. Should be a fan in the front of case pulling in the fan in PSU should be blowing air out and then there are usually another fan right below the PSU exhausting air also. That 3 pin you are showing is not for fans that is a jumper probably for to reset cmos also sata ports have no power those are data ports.

Proper Cooling
1 Air intake Bottom front of case
2 Exhast Fan usually right below PSU
3 Your PSU also an Exhaust for the case

Gordon B

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
ok so i will switch my PSU fan to an exhaust.
if i leave the 92mm (the one below the PSU) as an intake, will that cause problems?

here are the fans i have at my disposal.

80mm PSU exhaust fan
92mm Case intake
92mm CPU fan
GPU fan

i dont have any other fan, so if i switch both fans to exhaust then i will be sucking air from the grilles at the front of the case.

my thinking was that the CPU fan pushes air down onto the heat sink, so i would want cool air blowing into it, rather than having heated air being picked up by the CPU fan.

as for the sata connectors, i probably used the wrong term, but its the companion cable to the sata data cable... i thought it was called a sata power cable
looks like this
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u73/Matthew_Morrison/sata15pin.jpg

anyway, should i switch both fans to exhaust considering that i dont have any intake fans?
i can leave the 92mm as an intake and the PSU fan as an exhaust, but i dont know if that is ideal because i will still have the issue of the 92mm overpowering the 80mm