[SOLVED] Dell PSU with 3 pin connectors?

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020
Dell is telling me that their 360w power supply has only 3 pin connectors...are they crazy? Is that true? I am looking to install a graphics card and not use their integrated graphics. If they aren't crazy, and this is all true - are there 3 pin graphics cards? Adapter cables?
Thanks in advance, folks.

I do have a Dell XPS 8940 in case that helps. Any more specs required can/will be posted.

Solution
Dell is using a proprietary motherboard with the XPS 8940 which is powered by a 6 pin power connector. It's a TFX form factor PSU by the looks of things too. Basically upgrading the PSU is out of the question (unless Dell themselves have a a better unit).

We'll need more information though. What GPU are you willing to upgrade to?
Open up your case and take a picture of the PSU label/sticker... post it here through imgur. While the case is open check if you have 6/6+2pin PCIe connectors too (outside of the 6 pin destined to power the motherboard)

From the few pictures of the inside of the case I found, it looks like the PSU should actually have a 6+2 pin PCIe connector(probably 2 if you look closely) for the GPU...
Dell is using a proprietary motherboard with the XPS 8940 which is powered by a 6 pin power connector. It's a TFX form factor PSU by the looks of things too. Basically upgrading the PSU is out of the question (unless Dell themselves have a a better unit).

Open up your case and take a picture of the PSU label/sticker... post it here through imgur. While the case is open check if you have 6/6+2pin PCIe connectors too (outside of the 6 pin destined to power the motherboard)

From the few pictures of the inside of the case I found, it looks like the PSU should actually have a 6+2 pin PCIe connector(probably 2 if you look closely) for the GPU.

large

(can't really make out the PSU specs from this picture, that's why I asked you to take one)

I really don't understand where are they going with that '3 pin' connector they mentioned... poorly informed tech support I guess.

Solution

supressed

Prominent
Oct 17, 2020

From the few pictures of the inside of the case I found, it looks like the PSU should actually have a 6+2 pin PCIe connector(probably 2 if you look closely) for the GPU.

large

(can't really make out the PSU specs from this picture, that's why I asked you to take one)

I really don't understand where are they going with that '3 pin' connector they mentioned... poorly informed tech support I guess.

Thanks a million for the help, sorry to have wasted your time....blame Dell! lol