sharp910sh

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2007
i have a dell 5150 with a power supply of 305 watts. i have bought a x1950 which needs around 550 watts or 450 watts. therefore i need to buy a psu, can i buy any other psu or doesn't it have to be a dell one?

could you recommend any psu thank you!

Gingerade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
my friend has a dell and he needed a new psu. so then he got one but it had a on off switch on the back and on the dell case there was no spot for a switch. so we had to like cut out the metal part for it but yea other than that it worked fine

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
Dude you got a Dell? :(
:lol:

Anyway... any PSU will do fine. As in any good quality PSU. You don't need a special Dell PSU. Make sure you get one with no less then about 26A on the combined +12v rails. Check the PSU Ref. List link in my sig for a list of top quality PSUs and choose one from there with the power you need. Your best and most afordible option will be the AX-450 from FSP.

hold on their tiger.

Dell typically has used a proprietary power connector on their motherboards. why? just to piss us off. any power supply will do, but it may or may not connect properly. search google for "dell power supply connector" or something like that and you should be able to find a converter cable.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Dell typically has used a proprietary power connector on their motherboards.

They stopped that about 7 years ago.

Yup, it sure did. I have a dimension 4550 that I modded in a new psu (had to cut a new cord hole) and it was a standard 20 pin connector, nothing unusual.

I'm guessing, since that pc is newer than mine, that you'll need a psu with 24 connector pins. Check to make sure.

valis

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2005
Dell typically has used a proprietary power connector on their motherboards.

They stopped that about 7 years ago.

just goes to show how long ago it was when i acquired dells.
go for it!

i have a dell 5150 with a power supply of 305 watts. i have bought a x1950 which needs around 550 watts or 450 watts. therefore i need to buy a psu, can i buy any other psu or doesn't it have to be a dell one?

could you recommend any psu thank you!

dell psu's are underrated from what iv seen, that psu you got would be most likely around the 400w mark which is still too little, and like others have said, its a standard fit so you can get most other psu's to fit, no issues.

rabidbunny

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
My dell's psu was actually made by FSP...so it is pretty decent quality namebrand, rather than Dell.....go figure :)
And I guess that that psu i had could take on a fully loaded system with an x800gto power sucker. :D

It may be just fine for a bit...but I didn't trust dell so I suggest you eventually look for something with the correct amount of power that is for sure.

good luck.