Dell Puts Its Windows 8 Line-up Up for Pre-order

Status
Not open for further replies.

skaz

Distinguished
Blahhh. Interesting to see all this backlash against windows 8 through the interwebz but it doesn't seem MS has really responded to it. That's why I think this is a conversion method. A way to convert everyone to windows 9 when it arrives. Like vista shook the ground and then windows 7 calmed the storm.

I really hope, whatever MS's tactics may be, that the core elements of what makes the windows operating system so great aren't lost through this transition. We strive for customization while maintaining a stable system. As other operating systems become more open and customizable like windows they become more popular. Basically, but modestly, other operating systems model themselves from windows core idea. (I'm not saying "copy", I'm saying "model", as in influence for the better.)

Take android for example. As android grew and matured it ultimately became more customizable and stable. You can do so much more with android now then you can back when it was first released on the G1. The core element being the "freedom" that the operating system gives in content and overall user choices. Windows has had this freedom for so long, and is what makes windows so great. But 8 seems like a step backwards in this regard.

Either way it makes me feel uneasy. I don't like the direction that windows 8 is taking the operating system. But that's just my opinion.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
MS seems to be on track. I will download Win 8 when it arrives.

The main issues strike me as meaningless since I can get it to work in "normal" mode.

Unlike Vista, this OS is faster and more responsive than Win 7.

The real problem with Vista was the bloat, which this OS supposedly avoids.
As long as I can turn Metro off, I am fine with it being there.

skaz

Distinguished
Speed is of course a factor in upgrades. But speed is not the issue with windows 8. Secondly, I think you missed the part about conversion. If windows 8 is a step towards the next windows, then there is no guarantee that the ability to "turn metro off" will still be present in the next installment.

I'm not saying you shouldn't buy or use the OS. To each their own of course. All I'm saying is to diffidently think about what steps and why those steps are being taken within this system.

RealBeast

Titan
Maybe Ballmer shouldn't get a bonus at all if he can't figure out that there a lot of Windows users that are negative on many features of 8. He missed it on Vista and that was a dud that never got close to XP, which 7 just passed because it is good and people like to be able to configure their OS.

Every other OS seems to be the plan at MS. 8 will probably be fine for phones and tablets (or at least I hope it will since I'd like to buy a few), but it just doesn't seem to have enough upside relative to continuing with 7 as long as possible (like until 9 if it follows the usual good bad pattern), kind of like many did with XP.

kdw75

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
[citation][nom]hydac7[/nom]Windows 8 is just a terrible concept and touch on a desktop is a mega fail[/citation]

Touchscreen on a desktop computer isn't workable. Think how tired your hand would get after a few hours of holding it up to a touchscreen. Secondly think how awkward it would be trying to work with your hand and arm blocking a big portion of the screen.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
What are a few of you talking about? Windows 8 works perfectly fine with a keyboard and mouse... Have you even tried the product?

I use it day after day in work on a HP 8470p and I have ZERO issues. The sales guy testing has zero issues as he's working as he did before. The marketing lady loves the new interface and all the other 'shiny' elements and the factory manager is also happy. These people are USING the software and are all running it on non-touch devices. (By the way there are people that work with their hands for next to 6/7 hours a day and have no issues... they're called manual workers)

..Then again some people on the interwebs simply like to repeat what they've 'heard'.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
touch on a desktop isnt fail, however the monitors they have definatly are.

you need a monitor mount that would allow it to be horisontal when you are typeing, but allow you ro bring it closer and more flat when you want to use touch.

that however, adds about 2-300$ to the final cost because of the mount quality you need.

worth the price for the mount? if you have touch, hell yea.
worth it to an oem to put it in box... nope.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Talk about cheap crap made in China, I will pass on Dell and 8. My next computer will be Linux or maybe OS X.[/citation]

So... even though Window 8 is just as easy to use as 7 you'd rather move to an OS that requires a bit more work or an equally 'store' based operating system where the hardware costs more? Logical? Not really. Plus what will you do with all your current software that'll suddenly be worthless?

frombehind

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
I like the tablet thing that they have... the flip shell is a little weird though. I want to see something with similar horsepower, but more like a asus transformer prime... and about 500 bucks less then what dell is asking for.

I would totally go for a fully loaded i7 tablet with 256g SSD and 8 gigs of ram and a keyboard stand with battery for about a grand. When windows 8 tablets (still dont see the need for it on my desktop) reach this price point, ima get me one ^^

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
[citation][nom]damianrobertjones[/nom]So... even though Window 8 is just as easy to use as 7 you'd rather move to an OS that requires a bit more work or an equally 'store' based operating system where the hardware costs more? Logical? Not really. Plus what will you do with all your current software that'll suddenly be worthless?[/citation]
My 7 rig will stay my gaming rig but no new ones from MS and at least I know with Linux that there is no built in back doors for the FEDS, NSA co-authored OS that Windows is.

Status
Not open for further replies.