News Dell Quietly Slashes Price of the 4K 120Hz OLED Alienware 55 Monitor by $1000

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Wow it's even a true 10bit panel, but the 400 peak brightness with no HDR makes the price (even now) a bit of a turnoff. Especially in a "COVID economy."

Also, the problem of burn-in with computer use is still a problem. Whether we're talking about desktop icons, the taskbar (both admittedly workable with liberal screensaver usage) or a game interface that you spend alot of time playing, (which a screensaver won't save you from) it's still a problem. :(

Doesn't matter. I need a new computer long before I need a $3000 USD monitor. :/

Reactions: Kridian

InvalidError

Titan
I'm looking at my LG C9 and going "how is the TV market still doing better than the computer monitor market?"
If by better you primarily mean cheaper for something comparable, I believe the simple answer is volume: many more people are going to buy a 55" TV than computer monitor. Same reason I ended up buying a 4k 50" TV for $700 instead of $1000+ for a 32" monitor.

nofanneeded

Respectable
Sep 29, 2019
Tomshardware , why are you hiding information from customers ?

This same panel (from LG) is being sold for $1500 and BETTER specs LG branded.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1555063-REG/lg_oled55bxpua_bxpua_55_class_hdr.html

1ms / 120 hz native ! / HDR10 / Dolby Vision/ HDMI 2.2 / 40W speakers /20 W woofer/wifi6/Alexa/smart remote/ etc

and guess what?

OFFICILA GSYNC ENABLED from Nvidia !

Read the specs here

https://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-oled55bxpua-oled-4k-tv

Alien ware is asking Double the price ($3000) just for the ugly Alien Logo on it while using the same Panel from LG while LG TV has BETTER SPECS for $1500

Last edited:

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
It has a display port and gsync support. It's perfectly fine for gamers. The major no-no is it's a (now) $3000 OLED display with no HDR.
This in my opinion is the dumbest decision that Dell made, to exclude HDR support. I suspect most people who wants an OLED display would want the HDR feature more than anything. If it is just fast refresh rate, you don't need an OLED screen. The price just don't justify the specs. One is better off just getting an OLED TV instead, which I suspect is cheaper.

hannibal

Distinguished
This in my opinion is the dumbest decision that Dell made, to exclude HDR support. I suspect most people who wants an OLED display would want the HDR feature more than anything. If it is just fast refresh rate, you don't need an OLED screen. The price just don't justify the specs. One is better off just getting an OLED TV instead, which I suspect is cheaper.

those Hdr models just cost $10000+ for Gaming monitors... this is cheap compared to them... and yeah mot worth it in anyway.

Sep 22, 2020
This monitor just makes no sense. I just recently bought an LG CX 55” OLED for $1500 on sale. It has HDR10, Dolby Vision, HLG and is G-sync certified by Nvidia. It is also 120hz.

People are starting to realise that the parts in an Alienware PC are no different than any other "gaming" brand-in-a-box PC (which means generally inferior to DIY parts).

Since Dell doesn't actually manufacture monitors but just throws their name (or Alienware's name) on ones that are made for them by HannStar, Samsung, LG (or whoever else), there's nothing special about an Alienware monitor. It's just got that funky Alien's head on it. That $1000 they dropped from the price was pure "screw-the-noobs" profit, GUARANTEED!