Dell recommendation please

Carol

Looks like my Dell may not be worth fixing so I may be in the market
for a new one soon.

The one that I have (had) is a Dell Dimension xps-b800. 800mhz, 32
gig harddrive, 512 rdram. I've had it for four years but I still
loved it. When I bought it it was top of the line. Now, of course,
it's obsolete. I really don't think that I need anything more
powerfull. I use it for the Internet (cable modem connection) and for
photo editing with Photoshop. While it did take a while for Photoshop
to load once it was up there I had no problems.

I'd like to spend as little as possible while still getting some
reasonably good. Can someone recommend a Dell model that might fit my
needs.

Thanks

The 4600 is probably your best bet. The 2400 is too limiting (no AGP slot).
The 8300 is another choice - larger case, slightly better chipset, higher
price.

"Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Looks like my Dell may not be worth fixing so I may be in the market
> for a new one soon.
>
> The one that I have (had) is a Dell Dimension xps-b800. 800mhz, 32
> gig harddrive, 512 rdram. I've had it for four years but I still
> loved it. When I bought it it was top of the line. Now, of course,
> it's obsolete. I really don't think that I need anything more
> powerfull. I use it for the Internet (cable modem connection) and for
> photo editing with Photoshop. While it did take a while for Photoshop
> to load once it was up there I had no problems.
>
> I'd like to spend as little as possible while still getting some
> reasonably good. Can someone recommend a Dell model that might fit my
> needs.
>
> Thanks

It depends on price sensitivity. Normally I would agree with you that the
4600 is a better choice.

But.

The OP indicated browsing and Photoshop. Photoshop barely uses a video
card. I use my Dimension 2400 for Photoshop all the time. It's actually a
great machine for it.

Whatever you buy, Photoshop LIKES memory, so get at least 512mb, preferably
1gb.

Tom
"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote in message
> The 4600 is probably your best bet. The 2400 is too limiting (no AGP
slot).
> The 8300 is another choice - larger case, slightly better chipset, higher
> price.
>

> "Carol" <googlemail2003@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Looks like my Dell may not be worth fixing so I may be in the market
> > for a new one soon.
> >
> > The one that I have (had) is a Dell Dimension xps-b800. 800mhz, 32
> > gig harddrive, 512 rdram. I've had it for four years but I still
> > loved it. When I bought it it was top of the line. Now, of course,
> > it's obsolete. I really don't think that I need anything more
> > powerfull. I use it for the Internet (cable modem connection) and for
> > photo editing with Photoshop. While it did take a while for Photoshop
> > to load once it was up there I had no problems.
> >
> > I'd like to spend as little as possible while still getting some
> > reasonably good. Can someone recommend a Dell model that might fit my
> > needs.
> >
> > Thanks

Mare

Distinguished
May 31, 2004

Hi Carol,
I just got a 4600 and run Creative suite with no problems.
Photoshop, Illustrator and Indesign run at the same time. I did
get 512 to start and added 1gig from crucial. Sign up for their
coupon emails and check out the refurb section to.
Mare