Dell Releases BIOS Updates for Failing Nvidia GPUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tipmen

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
AMD/ATI has been lucky so far which I honestly don't mind. NVIDIA had the top for too long. I love the fact I can buy a 4850 for 150-140 depending on where you go. What also makes me happy is the price war they are having. I don't know if it’s good for the companies to do that. This must take a beating on their profit which equals lower quality and less research money. 

shachar2

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
dell has a 3rd party that does it's bios updates, dell doesn't manage it directly.
all this big talk simply means spinning the fan more, that's all that's the only thing they can do.

they thought x temperature was okey but since the problem they're going to reduce it to x-y so that the fan will spin more

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
First off, having ATI/AMD is no guarantee your video chip will never die, no ones is. Second there is no way in hell I would install this lame bios because all it does is reduce the speed of the GPU to reduce thermals. If I wanted a slow a** video card I would have opted for the built in Intel. I didn't pay extra so Nvidia could cheap out on their fix to their problem. Replace the darn things and get it over with.

NITRO-X

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
How about Toms does an investigation into this matter?? It seems to me that nVidia is trying to make this massive problem go away when the truth is they are issuing these BIOS updates to try to limp the laptops by until they are OFF WARRANTY!
What an absolute ripoff. nVidia is simply trying to get around liability.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
This would explain a few things. We recently replaced a Precision notebook at work because it would start throwing artifacts onto the screen about 15 minutes after boot.

Dell replaced the whole laptop as they apparently were out of replacement graphics cards for that model.

Status
Not open for further replies.