Dell Releases Monster Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

wavebossa

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I would agree with you sdcaliceli, but it might not be as mobile as one would think. The specs are incredible, but I have to ask, How long will it last without being hooked up to a wall? That kind of power comes at a high energy premium.

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]one-shot[/nom]It's portable, is that worth the extra premium versus a similar desktop workstation? I feel sorry for the battery too.[/citation]
Not really,no.

I've never seen anyone use a portable "workstation";laugh when they have a full tower with a grand(possible more) of graphics/CPU power in it..

unusedprogram46

Distinguished
May 23, 2008
Max config is a little over $10,000. Thats a laptop right there. You can get a second 9-cell but I'm wondering about that battery life as well. It would certainly save a lot of desk space...

ryanaxiom

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2008
Just went to the Dell site, there is no option in the configuration of the M6400 for more than 4 GB of memory. Otherwise, quite a laptop!

G

As an electrical engineer, I currently have a Precision M90, one of the predecessors to the M6400. Even with Core 2 T7200, 2GB RAM and a Quadro FX2500M, the battery lasts at least an hour and a half when only surfing on the internet or using Office products. It is truly a workstation, though. It will run Pro/E without any problems and no noticeable difference from the Precision 690 workstation tower that I had before. The real b!tch is actually carrying the thing around. It's heavy!

G

The system will take 16gb of RAM if you configure it with a 64 bit OS. Just did it.

jacke

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2008
Yes, Dell set new level to business notebooks as Latitude E-series. Now it offers something portable to people who is used to run several virtual desktops to test software etc.

Jack, http://shop.it.ee/

Status
Not open for further replies.