Dell Reveals Crazy Big 18-inch Windows 8 Tablet/AIO

Status
Not open for further replies.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
might be cool for rpg type stuff like changing backgrounds with a grid overlay, or maybe for long trips on a plane or in a car to watch mvies on a larger screen but i am hving a hard time picturing carrying a table tthat big

Draeg

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
You know what kind of sucks? If this was an Apple product, people would be saying "oh, it's just another ipad variant". But since it's not Apple, people are giving it a chance.

theusual

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
Dell's page linked at the end of the article says 1080P. It would be great if it can be used as an external display for my laptop. I guess there is always remote desktop.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]Draeg[/nom]You know what kind of sucks? If this was an Apple product, people would be saying "oh, it's just another ipad variant". But since it's not Apple, people are giving it a chance.[/citation]
No, people are willing to give it a chance because it's huge (no more squinting) yet still portable, and runs a real full desktop OS. The second part's the most important part. Asus' just announced AiO desktop+tablet is a fail device because it's a full OS in desktop mode but switches to Android in tablet mode (which runs on separate processors). Double the hardware, double the software, double the complications.

If Apple released an 18" iPad that runs real OSX and not gimpy iOS, people wouldn't be calling it "just another iPad variant" because it would be leagues ahead of any tablet Apple has released thus far. The reason why Apple hasn't is because they can't. Ironically, Apple wasn't "visionary" enough to make OSX touch-friendly and decided instead to go the iOS route so now they're stuck with a lame smartphone OS on their tablets. Microsoft on the other hand designed Windows 8 with touch devices in mind so now tablets, laptops, and desktops running Windows are unified by one full OS ecosystem. MS even thought ahead and made Windows RT just in case Intel doesn't completely wipe the floor with ARM sometime in the future. ARM CPUs' only benefit is their performance/watt ratio but Intel's been squeezing the nanometers ever more tightly so in a few years ARM may not even be relevant.

gnodeb

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I don't know what's wrong with journalism these years. Are you all paid to talk about certain devices in every article? I see no other reason to compare Windows AIO desktop device to an iPad. Yes, iPad is better tabblet then any AIO, but any AIO is better AIO then iPad. The fact that this AIO can be used as a tablet around the house doesn't change it's true nature or make it crazy. It's just a nice device that use full potential of Win8. And Sony already made similar device (Vaio Tab 20), so it is not even the first of it's kind.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
"it will sport an 18.4-inch capacitive touch Full HD display -- nearly twice that of Apple's iPad"
I think Kevin is assuming that to be twice as big, it will need to be (20 inches) twice the horizontal size of an iPad, which is not the case. It's the area of the screen that counts. It would have been much easier to compare if this and the iPad used the same aspect ratio, but they do not. I am too damn tired (there is only so much 2 cans of Red Bull can do for you as you try to skip a night of sleep to catch up on work!) and busy to try to dig into my archived knowledge of geometry/trigonometry, which I haven't used for about a decade, to figure out the areas of each screen (or to look it up even). But I suspect that this screen will be in fact more than twice as big as the iPad. Perhaps someone else can work it out and let us know :) .

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
hmmm.. rereading it now, I notice he did not say "twice as big".
So was I wrong to assume he meant twice as big? If just thinking about that makes my head spin, I should sleep...

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Yeah... I'm sure people want to carry around a 5lb tablet that has a 3~4hr useful lifespan.[/citation]

you mean like a mac laptop? that IS crazy, who would be so gullible. i mean i would much rather carry around the stacks of $1/10/100 bills a mac costs, they are way lighter.

[citation][nom]Draeg[/nom]You know what kind of sucks? If this was an Apple product, people would be saying "oh, it's just another ipad variant". But since it's not Apple, people are giving it a chance.[/citation]

apple is too busy trying to sell a 7" screen for $750

if this was made by apple they would charge you $1,800.

[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]Not the iMat, but the DellMat is here![/citation]

call me when it's blanket size. i might settle for windsheild sun blocker size.

DeadLight

Honorable
Mar 4, 2013
[citation][nom]merikafyeah[/nom]No, people are willing to give it a chance because it's huge (no more squinting) yet still portable, and runs a real full desktop OS. [/citation]
How the hell is this portable? Even if I can move it from one place to another, I doubt I'd be able to use it comfortably without setting it on a surface first. This is a stupid idea because it takes all the portability out. Its just a touchscreen PC.

merikafyeah

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
[citation][nom]DeadLight[/nom]How the hell is this portable? Even if I can move it from one place to another, I doubt I'd be able to use it comfortably without setting it on a surface first. This is a stupid idea because it takes all the portability out. Its just a touchscreen PC.[/citation]
People have different standards of portability. This is about an inch larger than your standard 17.3" laptop (but much thinner by the looks of it). The thing is, many people wouldn't consider a 17.3" laptop "portable" either, but in my eyes there are two types of "portable" in terms of practicality:

1) Portable enough to take to the toilet. If it's portable enough for this, it'll be portable enough for pretty much anything else. Smartphones, along with tablets/e-readers about the size of the iPad generally fall into this category. Some smaller netbooks/ultrabooks may also fit this category, ymmv.

2) Portable enough to take with you wherever, so long as there is a table or desk at hand.
Most standard laptops fall into this category, as does this XPS 18. I don't know about most people, but I can't stand working with something on my lap for extended periods of time. It's simply terrible on my neck. Putting something on a desk is just more natural and comfortable, and it's what I prefer doing whenever possible. So if you can carry around a 17.3" laptop, the Dell XPS 18 should be no problem. Plus I hate squinting at tiny screens.

If the XPS 18 also came with a pressure sensitive stylus like the Surface Pro, I imagine digital artists would be all over this. The Surface Pro already is an excellent alternative to say, a Wacom Cintiq, which generally costs the same or much more depending on the model, and they don't even double as a full PC like the Surface does.
(Here's a review of the Surface Pro as a digital art tablet: http://goo.gl/YSsm5)

InvalidError

Titan
[citation][nom]techcurious[/nom]But I suspect that this screen will be in fact more than twice as big as the iPad. Perhaps someone else can work it out and let us know .[/citation]
An approximation with diagonals alone says 3.38X. A correction for the different aspect ratios brings that down to 3.2X, so not that much of an error (~5%) from ignoring aspect ratios between 16:9 and 16:10.

So the 18.4" laptot-tablet (laplet?) has more than 3X as much display area as a 10" iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.