Dell Reveals the UltraSharp 32-inch Ultra HD Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
with a Q4 release, pricing will be interesting. Sharp's 4k panel is already below $4k, by Q4 I'd say it'd be worth around $3k. for Dell, they'd obviously want to sell this above other models, so at least $2k, but I'm not sure how much above. maybe $3k or so? as long as it's below $3k I think it'll be a strong contender and an indication of 4k resolution starting to go mainstream.

KING_85

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
Definitely looking forward to more information on this product. I think it's safe to say that it'll ring in over 2 grand as a 1600p is around $1400 at dell. Imagine the graphic card(s) you'll need to have to play games at the native resolution. Wish I had held off on purchasing their 1440p, but then again I don't think i'll be dropping 2-3 grand on a monitor anytime soon.

Giovanni-L

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
The number of people who will actually buy it is rather small. For casual gamers, the 1440x800 should still be plenty. For "light-hardcore" gamers, who play when they get back from work just for some distraction but still like pretty graphics and high fps, 1080p is pretty much the best still. "True hardcore" gamers also don't need much more. If they REALLY wanna crank it up the next notch, people usually buy 3 narrow-bezeled monitors and go triple headed. 4k monitors are just gimmicky and dream-oriented for MOST people. Not even small and medium-sized professional won't buy it. People with that kind of money to spare today are somewhat rare. The relevance of that is put in question by me.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I remember there were people talking about how the difference between 2k and 4k being almost non existent for monitors since it's so close to your face. Yet, all the review for ASUS 4k monitors says that the difference is really noticeable.

I'll probably wait till other panel manufacturers start mass producing for the price to come down even faster. Also, HDMI 2.0 please.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010

4k panels at this point in time is definitely not intended for gamers. Refresh rate is another important factor for gaming. Also, HDMI only provides support for 4k at 30 frames per second, so you have to go display port or wait for HDMI 2.0. But, the price point is actually pretty decent, considering there is only one manufacturer pumping these out. Remember when 1080p first came out? Holy balls. Once LG and Samsung joins the party and mass produces 4k monitor panels, the price should drop even faster. I wouldn't be surprised to see 4k monitors hit close to $1,000 by Q4/Q1 2014/15.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
I assume that Sharp manufactures the actual panel, as with the Asus.

This will be interesting. I will also like to disagree strongly with GIOVANNI-L. First off, you refer to gamers, for which you a true about meaninglessness. They just want a bigger 1080. However, professionals should love this thing. I for one think that the 2~4k will be well worth it. You will know when you have serious work to do.

hannibal

Distinguished
This has higher colour count than Asus version so this will cost more, so 5000-6000$ is guite good price for this product.
It will take some more time to get this near 3000 or even less...
I am really happy that we are now getting some really good monitors to desktops too! So far it has been a luxury reserved for highed phones and tablets!

piklar

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
I agree with iKyung , this is good times ahead for us once the other big names jump onboard although I suspect that the cost of a 4K display will still be well over $1000USD by the end of 2014 unless South Koreans come up with an alternative or two. Giovanni-L in the here and now I agree that 4K displays are dream orientated as was the 1st 1080p displays then 2560x1440/1600 etc . Its call 4K gimmicky? Come on mate see the bigger picture! I bet there's millions just waiting to get their hands on one, I most certainly am! as a 2560x1600/1440 multi display user myself its the only way forward and by the time 4Ks can be had for around the $1000USD mark think of the graphic cards that will be available by then! Exciting times indeed!

Needless to say, I'm drooling. I'll wait to see what the price is before making grandiose statements about buying N of them, but...if they can reasonably compare with Dell's high-end 2560x1440/1600 monitors price-wise, while managing a similar color gamut, I'll be fantasizing about owning three or four of them while buying at least one. :)

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
I'm Guessing this is a monitor for watching movies on your PC and not a gaming Monitor. A Gaming monitor has to have a refresh rate high enough to handle 60 FPS or higher and i see no mention of that. So i guessing it refresh rate is rather low since it is a first generation ultra display.

I swear to f--- the comment system is designed to actively discourage people from commenting on articles; I'm not even kidding. I only clicked "Add Your Comment" once and still ended up with duplicate posts. The old system wasn't 10% as messed up as this one. :(

Gnug315

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2011
I got their first 30" in '07, and it was the best hardware investment I ever made, for work and play both.

Looks like I finally found a worthy successor.

This would be an awesome display for content creation! Sadly I would use it mostly for web browsing and games, so the price is not justifyable. Once we start seeing single cable, single link panels become available with 60Hz refresh for ~$2000 then I will look into jumping on board. Until then I will sit and drool over how quickly these displays are dropping in price and gaining popularity; while the introduction of 4K was ~2 years later than I was expecting, they are becoming affordable much faster than I could have ever dreamed possible.

Bolts Romano

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
It will be interesting to compare the price with the upcoming Apple Cinema Display.
If Apple can sell the new Display below 2K than this new 32 will be around the same price range or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.