Question Dell S2417DG Monitor flickering When Set Above 120hz

Jff007

Commendable
May 28, 2017
So, I'm running a Dell S2417DG display with my XPS 15 9560 on Windows 10 (latest build, non-insider).

My display works perfectly when it's at 120hz or below, but running at 144 or above causes extreme flickering. I've tested the monitor and displayport cable with other PCs and have no issues whatsoever above 120hz.

I'm thinking it might be a driver issue with the Intel GPU? But I'm not sure what's happening. When I first got the display, it was perfect and started doing this randomly one day. It was set to 144hz with no issues, then it started the next day until I go down to 120hz.

I have the same screen. I take it your laptop has an Nvidia card in it? If so, what does the Nvidia Control Panel say about the refresh rate? Also tried checking your monitor settings in the OSD menu? I run my screen at 165Hz, cause, well, it's possible. So I'm curious what it does when you overclock it.

Jff007

Commendable
May 28, 2017
I have the same screen. I take it your laptop has an Nvidia card in it? If so, what does the Nvidia Control Panel say about the refresh rate? Also tried checking your monitor settings in the OSD menu? I run my screen at 165Hz, cause, well, it's possible. So I'm curious what it does when you overclock it.
The monitor doesn't show in Nvidia's control panel. It shows in the Intel one, however. I've tried setting to the max refresh rate through Windows and through Intel Control Panel. No luck either way, flickering after 120hz. Overclocked, on other computers, it's running perfect.

Feb 20, 2019
"I'm thinking it might be a driver issue with the Intel GPU?"

I know the refreshed version of that laptop comes with a GTX 1050M, what gpu does yours use? If it's flickering on the integrated graphics (you did put Intel GPU which would be the CPU) then stop using them. Of course, if you mean the Nvidia Drivers, or the CPU drivers then I'm at a loss.

Jff007

Commendable
May 28, 2017
"I'm thinking it might be a driver issue with the Intel GPU?"

I know the refreshed version of that laptop comes with a GTX 1050M, what gpu does yours use? If it's flickering on the integrated graphics (you did put Intel GPU which would be the CPU) then stop using them. Of course, if you mean the Nvidia Drivers, or the CPU drivers then I'm at a loss.
Sorry, bad wording. It's got the 1050. If I'm remembering correctly though, it's been explained to me that the 1050 will send data to the integrated GPU even with external displays. That's what I was referring to there.

Tried running DDU and then reinstalling the Nvidia drivers? The fact that the monitor doesn't show up in the Nvidia control panel tells me something's off.
I've done that once, with no change. I can attempt it again though, especially since I'm in the process of setting up an eGPU.