Dell S2716DG or alternative - 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz - For new gaming PC

james117

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I'm splashing out on a new gaming PC (i7 7700k, GTX 1080 etc.) and to top it off I'd really like to get a 2560x1440 display to take advantage of my new hardware. My current setup is a pair of monitors with a Dell AW2310 23" 120Hz TN being my main gaming display and a HP W2408H 24" TFT as my secondary Netflix/other screen. I havn't had a new display since I got the Dell ~ 6 1/2 years ago.

My question is: as someone who has been happy with the quality of these screens which aspects of a new screen will really blow my mind and help me appreciate my new PC? And which screen is going to be best for me.

I want a nice, reliable display that can at least match my 120Hz current main (which will become my secondary), is 2560x1440 and isn't rediculously expensive or garish. I have a budget around £600 which I can push higher if necessary. The closest match I've found so far seems to be the spiritual successor to my current screen - the Dell S2716DG. I don't really like most of the ACER / ASUS screens - not only from the higher reports of bad screens but the fact they insist on using red on everything and if I'm spending this much I want it to look nice.

I'm scared of IPS for the game of chance thats involved in getting a nice screen. I have been happy with TN all this time but is IPS really such a big difference? Is G-sync worth the premium over freesync? If IPS really is that good but the difference between 120 and 144 Hz isn't that big a deal then I was thinking of the ASUS MG279Q (I can easily hide the bit of red at the back)

So, will I be happy with the Dell S2716DG or is there an obviously better option for me to look at?

Solution
I sent my S2716DG back due to banding and poor colors even after being calibrated. IPS panels are great, they just have an inherit BLB issues, but when not dark, you can't see it.

pimpin-tl

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
I sent my S2716DG back due to banding and poor colors even after being calibrated. IPS panels are great, they just have an inherit BLB issues, but when not dark, you can't see it.

Solution

james117

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010

Thanks, I took the gamble and got an Acer xb271HU instead. I think i got lucky. Looks amazing and no dead pixels. I definitely have some backlight bleed in one corner and a few spots around the edges but honestly if I hadn't known to look for and test it then I wouldn't have noticed.