News Dell S3222DGM, best gaming monitor for most people, on sale for $249

cyrusfox

Distinguished
165 Hz isn't enough to be considered a good mid range gaming monitor anymore. It needs to be at least 240 Hz.
Why stop at 240hz, there is a 360hz 1440p in the wild[OLED though], at 3x the price. 240hz also seems to be 2x the price[IPS or OLED]. Anything above 140Hz is a big step up from the normal 60-75hz of old.

My main dig at this monitor is it is a VA panel that tops out at 350 nits, with that said, it is well reviewed so this price may be more than fair. I have always regretted purchasing a VA panel...
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s3222dgm

As a person who does 2 monitors, 32" is too big for my current desk space. I prefer 27" at 1440p.

Last edited:

35below0

Respectable
Jan 3, 2024
Why stop at 240hz, there is a 360hz 1440p in the wild[OLED though], at 3x the price. 240hz also seems to be 2x the price[IPS or OLED]. Anything above 140Hz is a big step up from the normal 60-75hz of old.

My main dig at this monitor is it is a VA panel that tops out at 350 nits, with that said, it is well reviewed so this price may be more than far. I have always regretted purchasing a VA panel...
https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s3222dgm

As a person who does 2 monitors, 32" is too big for my current desk space. I prefer 27" at 1440p.
Too big is a good problem to have. But it really is slightly too big. 27" is probably the best.

Unlike you, i have never regretted purchasing this monitor (or a VA panel in any case).
There was nothing better to be found unless i raised my budget 2x.

The nits issue never came up for me. My main issue was backlight bleed which annoys me to no end, and this monitor has almost no bleed at all.
It also doesn't ship with superfluous, terrible speakers.

Overall, it's got pretty good everything, except no HDR. You can get better but not for this money.

Reactions: KyaraM and cyrusfox

cyrusfox

Distinguished
Too big is a good problem to have. But it really is slightly too big. 27" is probably the best.

Unlike you, i have never regretted purchasing this monitor (or a VA panel in any case).
There was nothing better to be found unless i raised my budget 2x.

The nits issue never came up for me. My main issue was backlight bleed which annoys me to no end, and this monitor has almost no bleed at all.
It also doesn't ship with superfluous, terrible speakers.

Overall, it's got pretty good everything, except no HDR. You can get better but not for this money.
The VA I bought was an ultrawide(This Samsung). I noticed a noticeable color @ brightness shift when changing viewing angles, especially compared tomy old LG IPS 4k Ultraview, The color accuracy on the Samsung was noticeably worse. I’m considering trying micro-LED VA panels and a curved monitor to improve the viewing angle and color consistency, maybe could mirror your experience.

Choosing a monitor is tricky. Even with all the specs and reviews, you can’t truly judge it until you have it on your desk and calibrated for color and brightness. Unfortunately, my workspaces contends with natural daylight, and while I can use blackout curtains, it’s quite unpleasant during the winter. As such I find 400 nits is the minimum for my use case.