Dell Says Idea of Post-PC Era is "Complete Nonsense"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma42

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
PCs can never go away completely. I mean tablets and smartphones are nice and all. I may even replace my old laptop with a smartphone, but for any serious work you still need a keyboard and mouse.

PCs are content creation devices and tablets, smartphones and the like are consumption devices, so until they can make a tablet with a better interface then the PC will remain king.

bavman

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I think once we can have super fast internet everything can be done by cloud computing. All you'd ever have to buy is basically a wireless card, a monitor and keyboard/mouse. With fast internet (with little latency) we would be able to stream application, games, movies anything we desire. Kind of like on live.

danielravennest

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
I will use a tablet for serious work when they are 46 inches across, like my two desktop monitors. Nothing prevents people from having *both* a desktop and tablet. They serve different purposes.

G

I love it, now the marketing pundits are reversing themselves by posting this article.

I guess their bosses finally realized that they would lose more sales than gain by trying to sell PCs users on the BS that a tablet is just as useful as the PC.

They need to fire these marketers because they failed miserably, not all consumers are THAT dumb!

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
Oh yeah! Michael Dell and his company have way better attitude than Gruener, HP and other tablet admirers... I only hope that this attitude won't cost Dell too much - I'd like PCs to remain, and not just as a "niche market".

... but I'm still not buying Dell products :p

graysoniv

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Agreed. I'm sorry but who ever says PC's are 'dead' or soon to be are just plain wrong.

Maybe one day but we are just not there yet. It would take a vast improvement in tablet interfaces and hardware capabilities for them to replace the PC.

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I don't buy DELL or ANY branded PC, I have built my own PC's for almost 20 years now and will keep building my own for many years to come.

So for my point of view PC's are not going anywhere, tablets on the other hand won't even get anywhere near me. If I need a portable computer then I use my laptop.

But for serious work.... er... GAMING nothing will replace my PC's.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I wonder why portable TVs didn't put a dent into the big-screen TV market... oh yeah, because small screen suck.

Tablets will soon go the way of the netbooks. Once everybody who needs a tablet buys one, they won't be needing a new one for a long time - after all it's only for Facebook, Twitter, video and web browsing. Even smartphones are headed towards market saturation. If you have a top-of-the-line smartphone now, what else will you really need in a phone? A screen bigger than 4.3"? A 0.1" thinner body? Finer resolution than 960x640? Or do you long to play Crysis on a 4.3" screen so you'd like a 6870 GPU in your pocket?

No, now it's all about viewing content (video, websites, etc) and for most people, current top smartphones will be fine for years to come.

My wishlist for a new phone: streamlined wireless connectivity to HD+ displays, keyboards, mice, etc. Then and only then will multicore monster phones be really useful for any kind of work.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I am sure most governments would like to think that the PC would go away in favor of just consumption based systems such as tablets and smartphones.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

Not happening either; most people still want/need a portable PC with the ability to type properly and tablets can't do it.

They'd love it. I guess we're lucky that the market controls the government and not the other way around :)

coldmast

Distinguished
May 8, 2007
The EeePad Transformer is awesome; I think that with a Tegra 3 and better sound it would be a must buy. For Asus, instead of concentrating on emulating the look of competitors, they have excelled at bringing on new devices that fill in the nooks and crannies of the tablet market. I believe the ultimate goal for a product should be one that complements and utilizes other devices instead of shunning them.

Totally agree with this article, content creation is on the 'PC', performance is on the 'PC'; content consumption is on Tablets, so their real market is aimed at TVs and portable gaming devices.

Does anyone else remember when electronic pocket organizers where all the rage; and over time those capabilities integrated with smart phones.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

I believe it was the all knowing Steve Jobs that first started that rumor, by proclaiming we are in a post-pc era.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

I believe it was the all knowing Steve Jobs that first started that rumor, by proclaiming we are in a post-pc era.

GreaseMonkey_62

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009

liquidchild

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
As soon as a tablet is more powerful then its PC counterpart AT THE SAME TIME at a "reasonable" price the PC will be dead...don't hold your breath for it though.

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
For a tech website-- the posters here seem to have very little vision.

My desktop machine is a box on my desk, plugged into a monitor with the capability of communicating wirelessly to a keyboard and mouse.

At some point computer hardware will be fast enough and storage small enough [or remote] that it stops making sense to build large desktop machines and they'll get smaller.

At some point, a device the size of a phone [probably still with a phone in it] will be as powerful as necessary for 99% of all computer users and then still powerful enough for 90%+ of the tasks of that top 1%.

Those devices will almost certainly be able to connect, wirelessly and seamlessly, to the monitor, keyboard, mouse, internet, power, external storage, etc sitting on your desk [at home, work, the hotel business center, etc]. At that point, sitting at your desk, it is no different than a desktop computer. Except that when you're leaving for work you pick it up and put it in your pocket.

Between docking stations, you'll surely get by with touch and voice interfaces as well-- perfectly fine for the light work you do between desks.

Inferno1217

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
[citation][nom]bavman[/nom]I think once we can have super fast internet everything can be done by cloud computing. All you'd ever have to buy is basically a wireless card, a monitor and keyboard/mouse. With fast internet (with little latency) we would be able to stream application, games, movies anything we desire. Kind of like on live.[/citation]

I will NEVER use cloud storage for my personal information. I love my privacy and my families privacy. Cloud will be a hackers dream! The PC will not die in the foreseeable future.

theuniquegamer

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Post pc era will not happen in near future because pc will be definitely faster than a tablet or smartphone at anytime.Pc can work comfortably 24*7 .but working on tablet or smartphone 24*7 wont be comfortable .Again tablets or smartphone wont defeat pc in performance and hardware and reliablity.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Inferno1217[/nom]I will NEVER use cloud storage for my personal information. I love my privacy and my families privacy. Cloud will be a hackers dream! The PC will not die in the foreseeable future.[/citation]

If you use web mail or IMAP mail access, you're already storing your personal information in a "cloud". If you're using POP3 mail access, then your personal information is in a cloud before you download it to your computer. Either way, most stuff about most people is "out there" already, might as well use it for your own convenience.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]If you use web mail or IMAP mail access, you're already storing your personal information in a "cloud". If you're using POP3 mail access, then your personal information is in a cloud before you download it to your computer. Either way, most stuff about most people is "out there" already, might as well use it for your own convenience.[/citation]

The "cloud" is just a fancy name for something ancient used back in the days of the computers birth - Client/Mainframe solution, a weak-ass terminal connected to a mainframe that did all the work.

Who wants the old era back under a fancy name where your gear only need the power of a average toaster? I'm sure not one of em!

ZEPd3Z

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
why don't dell branch out and make the motherboards GPUs and stuff (nah...). but I'd like to see more not made in china things and more of... let's say U.S.A.
The PC will never die because of these mobile devices if they can cram performance and efficiency on those devices they can cram the heck a lot more on desktops even laptops. the only thing lagging behind is the software side of the industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.