Dell selling AMD chips.... NOT!

G

Quote from Jerry Colonel Sanders: "Our prospects of ever doing business with Dell are dim,"

Dell currently sells more PC's and servers then anyone else.. too bad for AMD.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It depends on your point of view. I see it as too bad for Dell. They are missing out on a growing marketshare. IBM sees an advantage, and has gone with AMD for servers (and Intel as well). Why wouldn't a company want to take advantage of all the technology available to get as much marketshare as possible? Think of the growing number of AMD users and Dell is missing out on quite a market.

Better check my portfolios and be sure that I don't own any Dell stock......

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Never say never; gateway did that and they are selling a lot of Athlons. Dell is taking a lot of losses those, They are the number 1 online seller, but retail they are not. They are going to cut another 3000 jobs, and their stock is falling.

760 chipset and the 760mp chipset will most likely change Dell's stance. Dell has stated that only reason why they won't sell AMD is because they do not have a stable chipset to run on. 760 chipset is a rocket and is one of the most stable chipsets I've had the pleasure working with.

MeldarthX

G

Too bad for Dell? ummm... Let me reiterate.. Dell is the largest supplier of PC's in the WORLD. Dell is also the largest supplier of servers in the WORLD (overtaking Compaq for the #1 position this year). Hate to say it, but it looks like Dell is doin pretty damn good without AMD.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
<sarcasm> Yes. I think Dell shouldn't be selling that AMD stuff (read:peep!) too. AMD is terrible for the US economy, and completely Un-American. Their utter lack of technological prowess is stiffling the entire advance of humanity. I firmly believe the major computer manufacturers like Compaq/Dell/Gateway/HP/IBM should boycott all AMD products. AMD is the prion disease of the computer age.</sarcasm>

G

"Never say never;"

Nobody said it would never happen. I believe Mr. Dell himself stated that they would jump on the AMD bandwagon once/if there are stable, compatible & reliable AMD motherboard chipsets availble.
Personally I think Dell made a smart move by shunning away from AMD/VIA. Dell figured it would cost more for tech support, R&D, replacement components etc.. then it would be worth. Apparently Dell's decision has been a wise one, his company has been the most profitable OEM ever since.
Also i might add, Dell pc's and notebooks have consistently been rated as top performers with excellent value.

74merc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Gateway got burned in the K6 era, so AMD convincing Gateway to use them again is a pretty good accomplishment.
hopefully the nVidia partnership will work out.
Integrated video on laptops is pretty cool, especially if its a Geforce 2...

----------------------
why, oh WHY, is the world run by morons?

G

yea, i agree with you all, but sarcasm doesn't work on a forum... hehe

tartarhus

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
Well, think about it. Any idiot can sell a lot of PCs. So dell sells more, so what? I could out sell them tommorrow with one ebay listing. There is a big differnce between selling a PC and making money. Remember all those companies that used to offer free 56K. They had a lot of customers. Where are they now?

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am an Information Technology Director and I would never use their servers. They are far from high end.

Back to the point at hand. Who cares if they are the biggest supplier. It is all about profit. So what if Retailer X sells 10,000,000 pcs while retail Y sells only 8,000,000 but makes more of a profit. Units don't mean jack. Profits mean everything. Who cares if they are the biggest supplier today. Even the greatest companies can lose their shirt in only a year. Look at Intel stock, sales, and market share. Guess what? They are all down. AMD has never seen such a great market share. I would not invest in a company that had their head so high up their ass that they missed out on an opportunity to both become more profitiable from savings (AMD processors cost less) and growth (they losing customers who want an AMD machine).

Dell has not been doing so great. Their stock has been down (under $27):
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=DELL&d=c&k=c1&a=v&p=s&t=2y&l=on&z=m&q=l

Hey Dell is so great that they are recalling 284,000 notebooks because they have a battery flaw. HAHAH. Yeah, really intelligent QA department. Way to go. Buy some of that stock.
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20010502/tc/dell_to_mount_massive_notebook_battery_recall_1.html

So they cut 1700 jobs in February and now another 3000 coming. Wow great management and some awesome plannings folks. Seems Merrill Lynch analyst Steve Fortuna raised his risk rating on Dell stock Tuesday from average to above average
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/keye/20010502/lo/dell_stocks_slump_in_wake_of_layoff_report_1.html

Dell won't be the number one supplier in 3 years (probably less).

It worked yesterday! :lol:

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Of course, everett6 is right!!! You always cut down on your employee count and your share price drops when you're company is the most profitable.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

MeldarthX

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2001
Actually Dell's laptops were rated last until about 2000, that is when they started actually making their own. Like I said, with the 760 and 760mp; out and coming out I believe Dell will take a long hard look at AMD and most likely come out with AMD line.......

If not with the Athlon line, then with the Hammer line. The Sled hammer is going to be one very nice cpu.......:)

MeldarthX

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
actually we are only recalling the battery's for a single portable that has since been replaced by the next gen inspiron. there has only been one batt that actually had a problem. because of that one battery Dell decided to recall the whole shipment. i would have to agree that that is a sign of a good QA dept.

So they cut 1700 jobs in February and now another 3000 coming. Wow great management and some awesome plannings folks. Seems Merrill Lynch analyst Steve Fortuna raised his risk rating on Dell stock Tuesday from average to above average
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/keye/20010502/lo/dell_stocks_slump_in_wake_of_layoff_report_1.html

this may be true but if you look around almot all the OEM computer manufacturer's stock is falling because of a lack of public interest.

as far a Michael Dell not wanting to switch to AMD i can sympathize with him because AMD does have a reputation of not haveing stable chipsets and is just trying to insure his company's future by playing it safe.

is this reality... i thought it would more realistic.

G

2 things.

1: From my point of view, I have to agree with Dell's decision up to this point, because of the non-stable platform. The OEM PC biz is about selling stable systems that can take a lot from people who don't know really how the machine works, and with AMD frankly has been difficult ever since K6-2 when they started having to ask third parties make a chipset for their CPU.
2: Yes, 760,760mp could convice Dell to sell some Servers and Workstations, and even High end systems.
And just a 3rd: We will just have to see aout this Nvidia-AMD agreement, Crush's specs are impressive, but we will have to wait and see if it is stable.

Grizely1

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Let <i>me</i> reiterate. TOO BAD FOR DELL. We're not talking about what they <i>are</i>, we're talking about what they <i>could be</i>.

---------
I am the first and only one with a 16MB GeForce2 GTS graphics card! :smile:

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
So stability is an issue? Then that makes sense why Dell would not want AMD cpus. Yeah, they are better off building boxes based on Intel Processors. That way they can have yet another RECALL. If I am not mistaken Dell recalled thousands of PCs that have the unstable Pentium IIIs. Those were the high speed Pentium IIIs.
http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2620792,00.html
There was also the Pentium IIs that have a floating point issue. I am too tired to go back in time and verify whether or not Dell had shipped any of these guys before they were recalled. Look here another issue with low speed Pentium IIIs:
http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/9909/30.bug.shtml

Sorry but if you want to base an argument on stability as to why Dell is really IMHO cheating it's share holders then you are simply out of luck because the historical record does not support such an argument.

It worked yesterday! :lol:

G

"Any idiot can sell a lot of PCs. So dell sells more, so what? I could out sell them tommorrow with one ebay listing"

Uhh... ok. lol. thanks for the laughs.

G

"I would never use their servers. They are far from high end."

It seems the majority of IT staff disagree with you, making Dell the largest supplier of servers in the world.

"So they cut 1700 jobs in February"

Ummm...ok, i hate to break this news to ya.. but the COMPUTER INDUSTRY HAS BEEN SEEING A DOWNTURN!! Name me one large company that isnt cutting back jobs. Obviously you have been hiding under a rock somwhere if you didnt already know this.

G

"You always cut down on your employee count and your share price drops when you're company is the most profitable."

In case you havent noticed everybody is cutting jobs not just Dell.. jeez.. some people will latch on to anything.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
True, but any business needs to increase it's customer base, and at all times. When a companies customer base stops growing, so do profits.

Dell is ignoring a very large part of the PC industry by leaving AMD out. Every AMD sale means a lost customer for Dell. That lost customer count will grow and it will make an impact on Dell. It already has. Look at their stock.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You can't just look at stocks. About everything is down year to date:

Dell - Down 50%
Intel - Down 50%
Apple - Down 60%
AMD - Down 22%
Gateway - Down 67%
Compaq - Down 33%
IBM - About even
nVidia - Up 100%
ATI - Down 70%
Sun Micro - Down 56%
Cisco - Down 71%
Microsoft - About even

That's all the biggies. nVidia is the only goodie there.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
True, stock alone is not an indicator.

The best indicator is marketshare, who is going up, who is going down. Dell can increase marketshare by including AMD and capturing the lost sales. It would be foolish if they don't.

ksoth

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The main thing about Dell choosing AMD is their market demographics. The average brand name CPU buyer (which is who all the major PC builders sell to) does not know the differences between Intel or AMD, and go to Intel simply because of brand recognition. When people do buy AMD, it is ususally because of the lower price, not really knowing much about the performance of the system compared to an Intel system. Dell may have a contract with Intel where Intel gives price breaks for certain volumes, and therefore it may be beneficial to Dell's bottom line to stick with Intel only. I don't know, but when Dell sells millions of computers, therefore buying millions of processors from Intel only, it is definately a possibility that Intel would do such a thing.

Obviously Dell is doing pretty good with Intel only computers. I mean, their market share has been growing and they captured the #1 spot from Compaq recently. But, it is very doubtful that the reason for that is Intel CPUs only, and they very well may have done it if they used AMD chips as well. I personally don't care either way. Obviously Dell and AMD are both doing pretty damn well in the current situation (both are constantly gaining market share against their competitors). But, you are all right, it may be better for both (but worse for Intel) if Dell and AMD do forge some sort of business alliance.

"We put the <i>fun</i> back into fundamentalist dogma!"

Fltsimbuff

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2001
I agree that Dell has done what is right for them as far as not yet adopting the AMD Chips. Dell has a reputation for Good Stability and support, and it would be a big risk to adopt anything new until it is proven to be stable enough to base a line of Desktops/Notebooks on. On the other hand, I do think that it is about Time Dell looks seriously at adopting AMD CPUs, as they have proven to be just as stable (including their chipsets) as Intel chips, and are a Better Value. Dell also takes advantage of Intel's marketing. What would you be more likely to buy, a system with a CPU you haven't heard much about, or one that has the CPU of a well-known and trusted company inside? If you want to see a crappy Computer Company, look at Compaq.... I'm still not too happy about all those sabotaged 200MHz Deskpros they sent a few years ago....

--Fltsimbuff