Dell selling AMD chips.... NOT!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"It seems the majority of IT staff disagree with you, making Dell the largest supplier of servers in the world.
"

Did you know that Ford sells more Ford F150 pickups in a year then all of the cars Mercedes sells (all model lines). So does that make the F150 pick up better. No! Cheap pieces of [-peep-] sell in higher quantity because more people can afford them. Toyota sells more Camry cars than Porsche sells from all their models. So according to you that Camry must be better. Sorry, more people can afford a low quality piece of [-peep-] server than a high quality top of the line awesome stability server.

You have no sense of logic or understanding whatsoever. You shoulg get a job for Dell. You would fit right in.

It worked yesterday! :lol:

G

F150's and Mercedes Benz have little in common. There is more of a demand for pickups than a Luxury vehicle, that's why more F150's are sold. Not too people narrow their car choice between a F150 pickup and a 4-door luxury sedan and then opt for a pickup because it's cheaper.

For some people a Camry is better than a Porsche just like a F150 is a better choice than a Benz, depends on you needs and circumstances. So according to your F**KED UP logic - the Yugo should have been a big hit outselling the almighty sales leader F150 because the Yugo was the biggest, cheapest piece of S**T available at the time. Don't see many Yugos around do you? Maybe you should go work for the Yugo sales team???

In my experience with Dell I think they are nice PC’s for desktop machines, not the cheap piece of crap you make them out to be. If people were looking for the cheapest, I would think you could do better than Dell…

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>

G

"Actually Dell's laptops were rated last until about 2000"

Odd, every time I read a reveiw they were or were one of the top rated laptops. Loved the one I had...

"with the 760 and 760mp; out and coming"

I heard that last summer, fall, winter.... Cheap, Fast Dual Durons systems. 760MP has been "out and coming" for a long time.....

<font color=blue>The #1 reason to upgrade your PC - to run faster benchmarks...</font color=blue>

G

"The best indicator is marketshare"

True, the best indicator is market share, and Dell has had the biggest piece of the pie in the PC market for years and more recently in the server segment too. Yes, by including AMD systems Dell could increase there market share even more, but not without its price. In the end, Dell could end up spending more money for Tech support, R&D etc supporting the AMD/VIA platform then its worth right now. Not to mention tarnishing there excellent reputation. So why bother? It’s not very profitable and its risky. Mr. Dell has said numerous times that the current AMD platform is too "fragile” and many others in the industry agree.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by everett6 on 05/03/01 01:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

"You have no sense of logic or understanding whatsoever. You shoulg get a job for Dell. You would fit right in."

lol.. I think 100mhz had a good response to your post. I having nothing more to add at this time.

jlbigguy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
<font color=blue>"In the end, Dell could end up spending more money for Tech support, R&D etc supporting the AMD/VIA platform then its worth right now."</font color=blue>

Not true. Because support is available only if the user has not changed the system configuration. I know Dell owners who are stuck with Windows 95 because if they put Windows 98 on their machines, they will no longer be supported. Compaq does this as well. Support is available as long as you do not upgrade your machine. This makes sense from the support side, as once a system is configured, there is only one configuration to support.

The user who changes the configuration does so at his/her own risk, becoming unsupported by the manufacturer. Common practice by the PC manufacturers.

However, I do have to agree with you on the "fragility" of the AMD system. Not the stability. Properly configured, it is stable. But the chips are too fragile. There would be a flood of cracked cores as unexperienced users attempt to remove HSF to overclock their PC's. There are too many posts here (and at other forums) to deny this. But this can be overcome with a statement: remove the HSF and you void your warranty, and lose all support.

<font color=blue>This is a Forum, not a playground. Treat it with Respect.</font color=blue>

G

There would be a flood of cracked cores as unexperienced users attempt to remove HSF to overclock their PC's. There are too many posts here (and at other forums) to deny this.
Yes, there is that type of fragility with AMD systems too. But when Dell says the AMD platform is fragile he means that there are "serious" compatibility issues. Read one of his statements below:

<b>In an interview held in London, Dell told ZDNet UK News that although AMD was making good progress with its processor range, the technology it offered "was too fragile" for Dell customers. Asked if by 'too fragile' he meant there were incompatibility issues with AMD architecture Dell said, "Yes, and that's vital."

Describing some of his customers as being at the "lunatic fringe" of computer use -- those users who are happy to remove and replace peripherals such as sound or video cards -- Dell said: "We found the AMD environment to be much more fragile... than equivalent Intel systems." He went on, "These are system issues that underlie the integrity of our own brand."</b>

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
"F150's and Mercedes Benz have little in common"...

That is my point dumb ass. Neither does a Dell Server and a reliable stable scalable top of the line Server have anything really in common except they are both servers. Just like the F150 and Mercedes vehicles are all vehicles. Too bad you are too ignorant to realize that just like you can't compare vehicles you can't compare servers based on a simplified superclass object. The other dumb ass tried to imply because Dell sells more servers then their servers must be great. I clarified that is not a true logical conclusion via a comparable analogy of two subclass objects based on the same superclass.

The second anology is really simple. I am not suggesting that everyone needs a top of the line server. Clearly, for some people to buy a real high quality server (I won't suggest any since your feeble mind cound not understand a good server if it bit you in the ass) would be overkill. Though the fact of the matter is if Tom's Hardware Guide did a comparison of servers they would tell you which one was best. They would also tell you which one was worst and the ranking that they came in. Does that suggest that everyone needs top of the line. No it does not. It is a statement of fact, of workmanship, of performance, of novelty, etc. As people we like top performance all around. Just get your head out of your ass and look at these forums. Look at all the arguments about AMD vd Intel and Nvidia versus ATI. Look at people bragging about overclocking. The porshes compared to the camry is a comparison of a fast, sporty, exotic, to a standard, boring, daily driver. Any idiot would have taken that for what it was. Though you are even dumber than an idiot. Got more CPUs that your I.Q. I'll bet. This was once again a correction to the other ignorant fool who basically tried to imply Dell must have the best servers because they sell the most. Which is the argument that an uneducated 3 year old would make (and I feel bad insulting three year olds all around the world).

In almost all retail you will find that the highest-end products sell the least in quantity because they cost the most. This is something that you amphibian grabastic pieces of [-peep-] (quoting Full Metal Jacket here) could not comprehend.

Either you are not in IT or if you are then you are a pathetic uneducated drone. Learn something about top end servers and then maybe you can put up a post that is not F**KED up and a waste of all of our time.

G

Wow, you sure had a lot of nice things to say.
I think there were more personal attacks and insults in your one post then I've seen in this entire forum. jeez.. what's the matter with you?

Help Intel's bottom line & buy AMD.

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hehehe. Like most people I react. It is frustrating that people can recognize words, can read words, yet have no comprehesion. Your follower and yourself don't know how to comprehend. Also, your follower, in his ignorance of understanding was very insulting.

What is the matter with me. Not a thing. Although it was a waste of my time to clarify a simple point that was presented well the first time, I went ahead and did it yet again. Also, I expounded a little to return so well deserved insults.

I noticed that you did not seem to point out the total lack of comprehesion that your puppet posted. Nor did you ask him why he was so rude. If you did then you would have a concern for conduct on this forum. Since you didn't, you are only concerned with people supporting you even if they have no foundation for it at all. The old "ends justify the means". That's why you agreed with your puppet's uneducated babblings.

G

It's understandable that you were frustrated with his post. (he had some good points) but in all honesty to attack him the way you did was, well, a bit much.

Through out your latest post you continually refer to him (100mhz) as a "follower" and a "puppet". I don’t think that is the case at all. He is just an intelligent person who share's a same view and opinion as me. So grow up and stop trying to insult him.

G

chrisojeda, I went back and re-read your orignal post and then your second post (i skipped all the insults) after re-reading them I realize now that you had a good point, but you just presented it wrong and I took it a different way. I dont want to go through all the details but I understand now what you were originally trying to point out. And I agree with you. I think this was all a misunderstanding. So, no hard feelings?

chrisojeda

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Everett6,

No hard feelings...and also sorry about the insults. I've had a rough last six weeks of working 80 plus hours per week. I've been a bit on the edge. Some of the insults in the beginning were just in fun but toward the end I was getting a little grouchy.

Phelk

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2001
~ Name me one large company that isnt cutting back jobs. ~

Try Sun Microsystems, While everyone else has had a massive downturn Sun had a 2% increase in sales and continued to grab server market share (now No.1 in the US). The recently released UltraSPARC III is a 2nd Gen 64bit CPU and has more juice than the P4 & Athlon put together. I'm afraid 32bit is just childplay now.

Kiwi in the UK