Dell shipment delay

I ordered my Dimension 2400 on Oct. 2 and they estimated it was going to
ship Oct 7th. I just got an e-mail saying their was a delay and they
couldn't promise shipment until Oct. 21.

Have they gone on strike?

What happened?

Catherine <catherine@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>I ordered my Dimension 2400 on Oct. 2 and they estimated it was going to
>ship Oct 7th. I just got an e-mail saying their was a delay and they
>couldn't promise shipment until Oct. 21.

You could always call them and see if something about the
configuration you ordered is delaying it (maybe they can't that that
size hard disk or something). Then you can think about cancelling and
re-ordering, or (dunno if they can) reconfiguring your existing order
to substitute something else for that delayed part.

[I'm kinda surprised, as usually they quote two weeks and you get it
in one week, but then I tend to order small business machines, and
maybe the home boxes have a different paradigm.]

Yes, they are all at BIOS update school and won't graduate till then.

> Yes, they are all at BIOS update school and won't graduate till then.

<snicker>

Stew

On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:54:30 GMT, WSZsr wrote in

> Yes, they are all at BIOS update school and won't graduate till then.

Nice. :)

Dave
US Army Signal Corps!!

http://www.geocities.com/davidcasey98

Remove IH8SPAM to reply by email!

>We have reviewed your order. Although we had anticipated being able to
ship your order sooner,
>> we are experiencing an unexpected delay with your order and will not
be able to ship this order and any associated orders until on or before
10-21-2004.
No action is required to proceed with the new date, however, if you do
not wish to wait, you may cancel your order.
If you wish to cancel your order or if you have any questions, please go
to www.support.dell.com or contact us at 1-800-624-9897, extension (66966).
Please include your order number or customer number with any
correspondence.
We apologize for any inconvenience this delay may cause.

Catherine wrote:

> I ordered my Dimension 2400 on Oct. 2 and they estimated it was going to
> ship Oct 7th. I just got an e-mail saying their was a delay and they
> couldn't promise shipment until Oct. 21.
>
> Have they gone on strike?
>
> What happened?

"Catherine" <catherine@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I ordered my Dimension 2400 on Oct. 2 and they estimated it was going to
>ship Oct 7th. I just got an e-mail saying their was a delay and they
>couldn't promise shipment until Oct. 21.
>
> Have they gone on strike?
>
> What happened?

The 2400 is being discontinued..............I'd hazard a guess that they're
struggling to find the bits to construct your machine.

Did you order a bog-standard unit or did you specify lots of extras?

My order is pretty bare bones. There is nothing special about the package.

Dimension 2400 Series,Intel Celeron Processor at 2.4GHz
512MB DDR SDRAM at 333MHz
Dell Quiet Key Keyboard
Dell 2-button Scroll Mouse
17IN(16.0IN VIS)E773c Monitor,Midnight Grey,Dimension
Integrated Intel 3D AGP Graphics
40GB Ultra ATA/100 Hard Drive (7200RPM)
3.5in Floppy Drive
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition,Service Pack 1,English
Dell Application Back-up CD, Factory Install
Generic Dimension Dell Support
Image Restore
Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system
set-up to access
Mouse included with Keyboard purchase
Integrated 10/100 Ethernet
56K PCI Data Fax Modem
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0
48X CDROM and 48X CDRW
Integrated ADI 1885 Audio
No Speaker Requested
NETWORK ASSOCIATES MCAFEE 5.0,OEM, ENGLISH,90 DAY TRIAL, FACTORY INSTALL
Dell Jukebox powered by Music Match
Dell Photo Album Standard
AOL DHS
Dell/My Way Home Page
Broadband Icon for Inspiron
NETZERO ISP
Microsoft Office 2003 Basic Edition,Dimension,DHS
Soft Contracts - Qualxserve
4 Year Limited Warranty
$60 WARRNTY REBATE 51105 Redeem within 30 days of ship at
dell4me.com/rebates
Type 15- Third Party At Home Service with Nights and Weeke ends, 24x7
Technical Support, Initial Year
Type 15- Third Party At Home Service with Nights and Week ends, 24x7
Technical Support, 3 Year Extended
Technical Support, Initial Year
Technical Support, 3 Year Extended
Money 2004 Standard Version for Dimension
Dell Media Experience

Nick Cleevely wrote:
> "Catherine" <catherine@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>
>>I ordered my Dimension 2400 on Oct. 2 and they estimated it was going to
>>ship Oct 7th. I just got an e-mail saying their was a delay and they
>>couldn't promise shipment until Oct. 21.
>>
>>Have they gone on strike?
>>
>>What happened?
>

> The 2400 is being discontinued..............I'd hazard a guess that they're
> struggling to find the bits to construct your machine.
>
> Did you order a bog-standard unit or did you specify lots of extras?

Since the 2400 is being discontinued, and they are giving you the option of
canceling your order, if it were me, I would take it. They are likely
scrambling to find enough parts to complete existing orders for the 2400, so
you would probably be better off to order the model that replaces the 2400.

"Catherine" <catherine@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> I ordered my Dimension 2400 on Oct. 2 and they estimated it was going to
> ship Oct 7th. I just got an e-mail saying their was a delay and they
> couldn't promise shipment until Oct. 21.
>
> Have they gone on strike?
>
> What happened?

I see now they are offering a "free" upgrade to a free 15 inch flat
panel monitor and an 80GB instead of a 40GB hard drive.
I can't even configure the same computer I have ordered.

My bare bones computer will go up about 150 dollars if I cancel and
reorder.

HELP!!!

cath <cath@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>I can't even configure the same computer I have ordered.
>My bare bones computer will go up about 150 dollars if I cancel and
>reorder.

Call Dell sales on the phone and have them figure it out.

danr

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003

There's probably a supply issue with 1 component in this machine, such as
Optical device. The launch of the 3000 has zero effect on building 2400s
(outside of Catherine's machine obviously!)

Dan

"Nick Cleevely" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

> "Catherine" <catherine@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> >I ordered my Dimension 2400 on Oct. 2 and they estimated it was going to
> >ship Oct 7th. I just got an e-mail saying their was a delay and they
> >couldn't promise shipment until Oct. 21.
> >
> > Have they gone on strike?
> >
> > What happened?
>
> The 2400 is being discontinued..............I'd hazard a guess that
they're
> struggling to find the bits to construct your machine.
>
> Did you order a bog-standard unit or did you specify lots of extras?

I called Dell and they said they

"It is a manufacturing delay."

"There is a shortage of cases that were bought."

I was actually flying up to Tulsa, Oklahoma from Houston, Texas this
weekend to help my parents set up their new computer. Think again.

DanR wrote:
> There's probably a supply issue with 1 component in this machine, such as
> Optical device. The launch of the 3000 has zero effect on building 2400s
> (outside of Catherine's machine obviously!)
>
> Dan

Catherine <catherine@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>"There is a shortage of cases that were bought."

Ah, well that answers that question, you can't substitute a different
part. 8*{

I'm with the others who have counselled you to avoid end-of-life
machines, while you'll still get the warranty you paid for and _some_
software updates for it, you're much better off with a newer machine.
I can't believe the equivalent machine in the next series is that much
more expensive...

"cath" <cath@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
>I see now they are offering a "free" upgrade to a free 15 inch flat panel
>monitor and an 80GB instead of a 40GB hard drive.
> I can't even configure the same computer I have ordered.
>
> My bare bones computer will go up about 150 dollars if I cancel and
> reorder.
>
> HELP!!!

I'd be inclined to cancel as Irene has posted.

The 2400 is an end-of-line machine, there will be no further BIOS upgrades
etc etc to enable you to take advantage of any future technology.

The delay in shipping is simply evidence that Dell are scrambling around to
find the bits to match your order.

oddly, if you configure the same system today it suggests an october 13th
ship date. i find it hard to believe that anything other than the
motherboard would be in short supply. this is the same case and other
components used on the 3000 and other models. makes me wonder if they are
shifting resources to higher ticket configurations at the expense of low
ticket ones. i suggest you just keep an eye on prices, and even put in an
order for another system if you find a sweet price, then just refuse
delivery of the second one that arrives...