Dell Shipping 8400 w/Pentium 4 Stepping E0?

Can anyone who recently purchased an 8400 tell me if the Pentium 4 is
at the E0 stepping? According to Tom's Hardware Guide, this stepping
of the Prescott core adds some desirable features: Execute Disable,
Enhanced Halt Mode, and Thermal Monitoring 2.
http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/

The above referenced article describes how to determine the stepping
by visually inspecting the retail box or the CPU itself. The stepping
can also be determined by running SiSoft Sandra, or a free utility
called WCPUID (wcpu330.exe). Get it here: http://www.h-oda.com/

I'm about to buy an 8400 (probably at 3.4 GHz), but I'm willing to
wait to get the E0 stepping. I may just wait until the Pentium 4 6xx
series with 2MB L2 cache is released (projected to be this quarter),
as I beleive it will include these features from the get go.

--wb

I may be wrong, but I think the processor you are looking for is the one
with the "J" in the name as in Pentium 4 540J processor.

"wishbone" <please@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Can anyone who recently purchased an 8400 tell me if the Pentium 4 is
> at the E0 stepping? According to Tom's Hardware Guide, this stepping
> of the Prescott core adds some desirable features: Execute Disable,
> Enhanced Halt Mode, and Thermal Monitoring 2.
> http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/
>
> The above referenced article describes how to determine the stepping
> by visually inspecting the retail box or the CPU itself. The stepping
> can also be determined by running SiSoft Sandra, or a free utility
> called WCPUID (wcpu330.exe). Get it here: http://www.h-oda.com/
>
> I'm about to buy an 8400 (probably at 3.4 GHz), but I'm willing to
> wait to get the E0 stepping. I may just wait until the Pentium 4 6xx
> series with 2MB L2 cache is released (projected to be this quarter),
> as I beleive it will include these features from the get go.
>
> --wb

"wishbone" <please@nospam.com> wrote in message
| Can anyone who recently purchased an 8400 tell me if the Pentium 4 is
| at the E0 stepping? According to Tom's Hardware Guide, this stepping
| of the Prescott core adds some desirable features: Execute Disable,
| Enhanced Halt Mode, and Thermal Monitoring 2.
| http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/
|
| The above referenced article describes how to determine the stepping
| by visually inspecting the retail box or the CPU itself. The stepping
| can also be determined by running SiSoft Sandra, or a free utility
| called WCPUID (wcpu330.exe). Get it here: http://www.h-oda.com/
|
| I'm about to buy an 8400 (probably at 3.4 GHz), but I'm willing to
| wait to get the E0 stepping. I may just wait until the Pentium 4 6xx
| series with 2MB L2 cache is released (projected to be this quarter),
| as I beleive it will include these features from the get go.
|
| --wb

Here's the processor info from my 8400 as determined by Everest home edition
if it helps.

Field Value
CPU Properties
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4E, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
CPU Stepping E0
Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
Original Clock 3200 MHz
Engineering Sample No
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Multi CPU
Motherboard ID DELL Dim 8400
CPU #0 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz
CPU #1 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz

CPU Manufacturer
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm

CPU Utilization
CPU #1 / HTT Unit #1 30 %
CPU #1 / HTT Unit #2 33 %

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details. :)

Remove shoes to E-mail.

"HillBillyBuddhist" <hillbillybuddhistshoes@columbus.rr.com> wrote in
message news:TH_Fd.2143$re1.1401@fe2.columbus.rr.com...
> "wishbone" <please@nospam.com> wrote in message
> | Can anyone who recently purchased an 8400 tell me if the Pentium 4 is
> | at the E0 stepping? According to Tom's Hardware Guide, this stepping
> | of the Prescott core adds some desirable features: Execute Disable,
> | Enhanced Halt Mode, and Thermal Monitoring 2.
> | http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041115/
> |
> | The above referenced article describes how to determine the stepping
> | by visually inspecting the retail box or the CPU itself. The stepping
> | can also be determined by running SiSoft Sandra, or a free utility
> | called WCPUID (wcpu330.exe). Get it here: http://www.h-oda.com/
> |
> | I'm about to buy an 8400 (probably at 3.4 GHz), but I'm willing to
> | wait to get the E0 stepping. I may just wait until the Pentium 4 6xx
> | series with 2MB L2 cache is released (projected to be this quarter),
> | as I beleive it will include these features from the get go.
> |
> | --wb
>
> Here's the processor info from my 8400 as determined by Everest home
> edition
> if it helps.
>

> Field Value
> CPU Properties
> CPU Type Intel Pentium 4E, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
> CPU Stepping E0
> Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3
> Original Clock 3200 MHz
> Engineering Sample No
> L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
> L1 Data Cache 16 KB
> L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)
>
> Multi CPU
> Motherboard ID DELL Dim 8400
> CPU #0 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz
> CPU #1 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz
>
> CPU Manufacturer
> Company Name Intel Corporation
> Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm
>
> CPU Utilization
> CPU #1 / HTT Unit #1 30 %
> CPU #1 / HTT Unit #2 33 %

And from Everest Professional on mine (unit shipped beginning December):

--------[ EVEREST Professional (c) 2003, 2004 Lavalys,
Inc. ]-----------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v1.51.195
Homepage
http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer SPARTACUS
Generator Chuckles The Scary
Clown
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP Retail)
Date 2005-01-15
Time 13:20

--------[
CPU ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4E,
3200 MHz (16 x 200)
CPU Alias Prescott
CPU Stepping D0
Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2,
SSE3
Original Clock 3200 MHz
Engineering Sample No
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 16 KB
L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC,
ATC, Full-Speed)

Multi CPU:
Motherboard ID DELL Dim 8400
CPU #0 Intel(R) Pentium(R)
4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz
CPU #1 Intel(R) Pentium(R)
4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz

CPU Physical Info:
Package Type 775 Contact LGA
Package Size 3.75 cm x 3.75 cm
Transistors 125 million
Process Technology 7M, 90 nm, CMOS, Cu,
Low-K Inter-Layer, High-K Gate, Strained Si
Die Size 112 mm2
Core Voltage 1.425 V
I/O Voltage 1.425 V
Typical Power 84 - 115 W
(depending on clock speed)
Maximum Power 101 - 151 W
(depending on clock speed)

CPU Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information
http://www.intel.com/products/browse/processor.htm

CPU Utilization:
CPU #1 / HTT Unit #1 6 %
CPU #1 / HTT Unit #2 2 %

On Sat, 15 Jan 2005 13:23:06 GMT, "Chuckles The Scary Clown"
<chuckles@mrspankys.bigtopnet> wrote:

> [...]
>3200 MHz (16 x 200)
> CPU Alias Prescott
> CPU Stepping D0
> Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2,
>SSE3
> Original Clock 3200 MHz
> Engineering Sample No
> L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
> L1 Data Cache 16 KB
> L2 Cache 1 MB (On-Die, ECC,
>ATC, Full-Speed)
>
> Multi CPU:
> Motherboard ID DELL Dim 8400
> CPU #0 Intel(R) Pentium(R)
>4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz
> CPU #1 Intel(R) Pentium(R)
>4 CPU 3.20GHz, 3192 MHz
>
> CPU Physical Info:
> Package Type 775 Contact LGA
> Package Size 3.75 cm x 3.75 cm
> Transistors 125 million
> Process Technology 7M, 90 nm, CMOS, Cu,
>Low-K Inter-Layer, High-K Gate, Strained Si

Chuckles and HillBilly,
Thank you both for posting your CPU information. HillBilly, when did
you purchase your 8400? It appears Dell began shipping E0 steppings
sometime after early December (at least for the 3.2 GHz CPUs). If I
buy now, I just might get the E0 stepping, or maybe not. I guess it
would depend what Dell has in stock for the processor speed I select.
Thanks again.
--wb

> Chuckles and HillBilly,
> Thank you both for posting your CPU information. HillBilly, when did
> you purchase your 8400? It appears Dell began shipping E0 steppings
> sometime after early December (at least for the 3.2 GHz CPUs). If I
> buy now, I just might get the E0 stepping, or maybe not. I guess it
> would depend what Dell has in stock for the processor speed I select.
> Thanks again.
> --wb

I ordered it 07-DEC-2005

message news:34t7q5F3k3aejU1@individual.net...
|> Chuckles and HillBilly,
| > Thank you both for posting your CPU information. HillBilly, when did
| > you purchase your 8400? It appears Dell began shipping E0 steppings
| > sometime after early December (at least for the 3.2 GHz CPUs). If I
| > buy now, I just might get the E0 stepping, or maybe not. I guess it
| > would depend what Dell has in stock for the processor speed I select.
| > Thanks again.
| > --wb
|
| I ordered it 07-DEC-2005
|
| --