Dell Studio 14z Has GeForce, Reasonably Priced

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricardok

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2009
I don't know why companies are ditching the DVD drive.. Of course, we don't use it as much as we used to use it, let's say, 3 years ago. Now everything is faster moved with a pendrive. Still, DVDs are useful for backups that are essential, to create your recovery disks, to recover your machine. I can't see why those companies are trying to kill the format.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
isn't the 9400 the same as whats in ion? id happily ditch the slightly faster cpu for an ion powered netbook. assuming the netbook was lighter and smaller.

gcolefla

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
I have been researching the 9400m and it seems like a great chipset for all mobile computers. It is much more powerful than on board intel graphics yet also much cheaper and efficient than dedicated cards. If you just want great hd functionality, productivitiy, nvidia cuda, and the ability to run photoshop and other professional programs this looks like a great choice. Its not really meant for gaming though, but it can actually run some games.

Also I have seen portable drives are around 50 bucks, and I think a thinner and lighter laptop is better than the thicker one I had in which I used the drive 6 times in a year

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I don't see what's the big deal with Dell here - the HP dv3t has a newer G105M and a 13" screen with a built-in optical drive. That's been out for over a month now. HP has plans to introduce the T9900 with this model as well.

JustinHD81

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2009
Why is this a 14in laptop? This should be a 12 incher or smaller, especially since there's no built in dvd drive....

What's with the 9400m, isn't not having the dvd drive internal allowing for better airflow and therefore able to stick something decent in there? basically this is an oversized netbook.

jay236

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008
[citation][nom]liemfukliang[/nom]The good thing is it has CUDA. The worst thing is it has time bomb. Many Mobile Nvidia VGA has defect. I thought DELL has learn, but?[/citation]

I thought the nVidia VGA defect lied in the G84/G86 based chipsets, and not the new 9400's. Why would manufacturers such as large laptop companies such as Apple and Dell place defective video chips in their newest products? (Mac Book lineup and Dell Studio XPS 13)

janepher

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Dell never fails to impress most of the gamers. I heard that this model has a HD Blue Ray video that can support cool games like WoW. Speaking of WoW, I submitted an entry for a contest that can win me 500,000 gold just by simply giving a name to the twitter pig! You can try your luck as well, just visit: wowgoldpig.blogspot.com

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]janepher[/nom]Dell never fails to impress most of the gamers. I heard that this model has a HD Blue Ray video that can support cool games like WoW. Speaking of WoW, I submitted an entry for a contest that can win me 500,000 gold just by simply giving a name to the twitter pig! You can try your luck as well, just visit: wowgoldpig.blogspot.com[/citation]
Never fails to impress them with their crap?

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Just put in an RMA to return my dell mini 10 (fully loaded with 720p screen for THIS!)

freaking mini 10 rebots after paying a 1080p rip after 10 minutes.

it gets HOT!

probably cause it has NO FAN! while my daughters acer aspire one DOES!

i am placing an order for this 14 inch right now...

scryer_360

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Lack of optical drive makes sense, this laptop's features put in a market position that screams "urban trendsetter" or "prosumer." (last one being consumers out for the latest and greatest, not just "professionals")

Realistically, you can install any software you may need from the internet, the only one you couldn't do is the OS. MS Office? Games? Video and Media Player software? Internetz.

dyingcat

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2008
It's been almost a year since Apple released a product with the 9400 chipset. I wonder what is taking the other manufacturers so long to put it in their machines?

G

This seems to be THE notebook to get. I don't need a DVD drive and I'm not very comfortable in doing work in a 13' inch screen... much less a 12'. And this baby even has the option of a REAL processor where I can do some work on (circuit simulation, not word typing...)

ciaochow

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
No one really needs a DVD drive on the laptop. Why do you want to carry the drive around when you use it less that 0.1% of the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.