Dell studio 1558 CMOS slot on motherboard damaged

Status
Not open for further replies.

raghava216

Reputable
Jan 1, 2016
My Dell studio 1558 did not boot up last night. So, I opened it up, took out the RAMs, cleaned and replaced them. Then, I felt that the CMOS battery might have gone bad. So, I attempted to take out the CMOS battery from its slot. But, unfortunately the case which is soldered to the motherboard came out at one end. The positive terminal of the battery is connected to two places through PCB tracks, 1 to a via and the other to one end of a resistor. These 2 tracks cut open when I tried to eject the battery. I wanted to connect a wire between the points after scratching out the PCB track. Unfortunately, while scratching the track, the track came out along with the conductor near the via.
Is there any way to fix this? Is there any other known point where I can wire the positive terminal from CMOS battery?
My laptop is running but displays a message that CMOS checksum is bad, every time I boot.
Is it safe to work with my laptop in this condition?
Kindly suggest solution.

Solution
If the system works with the battery socket out, it is fine to use, you will just need to deal with the message and possibly setup up the time a lot more often. The fix would be to solder the socket back on, since we are not there to do it, you need to look at how it was connected and see if it's possible.
If the system works with the battery socket out, it is fine to use, you will just need to deal with the message and possibly setup up the time a lot more often. The fix would be to solder the socket back on, since we are not there to do it, you need to look at how it was connected and see if it's possible.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.