[SOLVED] Dell Studio 1558 DVD slot not accepting discs

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Hi everyone,

This is a weird problem for me. I have two options for a DVD drive, both detected and up to date according to Windows 10's Device Manager. Both of them refuse to take a disc. The one built in to the laptop, if the disc is in almost all the way (because it isn't taking the disc in itself), ejects it.

The USB one, also by Dell, won't do a thing. I didn't put the disc in all the way, because I'd lose it in there. Tried all USB ports.

And by the way, I also have a built in SD card reader and can't find the driver on Dell Support.

And I have tried different CDs and DVDs.

Any help is much appreciated.

Solution
Which system model and which Windows version?
Sorry, for some reason I wasn't notified of this reply.

As I have stated in the original post's title, the system model is a Dell Studio 15-1558 with an internal DVD-RW slot.
The external DVD is a Dell DW514.

Anyway, after some playing around I have found the solution:
They both just need a quicker push. They don't work like, for example, the Nintendo Wii's CD slot where you put the disc in just a quarter of the way and the slot will take the rest of the disc inside for you. The user has to push the CD/DVD into the slot in a quicker and stronger fashion, and only then will it take it in.

The Dell Studio 15-1558's DVD drive no longer seems to be a DVD drive. It turned into a CD...

mrmike16

Honorable
Mar 10, 2016
Which system model and which Windows version?
Sorry, for some reason I wasn't notified of this reply.

As I have stated in the original post's title, the system model is a Dell Studio 15-1558 with an internal DVD-RW slot.
The external DVD is a Dell DW514.

Anyway, after some playing around I have found the solution:
They both just need a quicker push. They don't work like, for example, the Nintendo Wii's CD slot where you put the disc in just a quarter of the way and the slot will take the rest of the disc inside for you. The user has to push the CD/DVD into the slot in a quicker and stronger fashion, and only then will it take it in.

The Dell Studio 15-1558's DVD drive no longer seems to be a DVD drive. It turned into a CD drive. It still shows up as a DVD-RW drive, though. Very strange, but it won't read my DVDs anymore. It detects them all as new blank disks.

The Dell DW514 external DVD drive does work if the user does what I said earlier- just needs a bit of forcing. After that, it works like new! Good thing I have it, since the internal one is essentially not useful anymore as most of my disks are of DVD format.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar issue. Of course, check that the drive's driver is up to date before anything else. Mine, being from 2010, hasn't gotten any updates in a long time.

Last edited:
Solution