Dell Studio XPS 435MT with new graphics card.

ShadowDragon101

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
So I currently have a dell studio xps 435mt with dx58m01 motherboard that requires a 24 pin and 8 pin power connector. After changing the PSU to the Corsair Cx500 would I be able to replace the current gpu with a gtx 770? Will the motherboard recognise it?

Solution
Sorry for the late response. The RX 470 is technically a better card that the 770, with more VRAM I believe. So if you're on a budget and can upgrade you should be fine. your 500w PSU should be enough to run the card with the rest of your system. Might want to think about upgrading to a 550 or even 600 or something just to be safe. You should be good though.
One consideration, newer Nvidia cards can have trouble working on older motherboards. If you have an i7 CPU, something like an AMD RX 470(new) or HD 7950/7970 or derivatives like R9 280x(used) might be better for you. If you have less than an i7, an RX 460 might be a better idea.

My understanding is that the issue I'm referring to affects Nvidia gaming cards newer than the GTX 6xx series, so a 770 could be affected. The thing I would do, in any case, is contact the company whose brand is on the card to ask if it's compatible. So if you were buying a Zotac card, I'd email or call Zotac to ask about that model.

I do not suggest buying more parts. I'm a budget gamer and I don't recommend spending needless money. The approach I'd use is to pick a card that will work with what you have. I think the Nvidia GTX 6xx series is not really desirable at this point, whereas the AMD HD 79xx series, while old as well, still has some life left in it. If the RX 470 is out, then that's the way I'd go. Keep in mind cards like the R9 380/380x are derived from the 79xx series, so you have a lot of choices and can still find them on sale new here and there.

edit: to correct that the 280/280x are derived from the 79xx, the 380/380x are of similar performance but a different origin

AntonioE1778

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
In addition to what dontlistentome said, I would also add that while it might not seem like the biggest deal, I am pretty sure that the GTX 770 is designed for use in a PCI-E 3.0 lane on the mobo, but I looked up the particular mobo you mentioned and it only has one PCI-E 2.0 lane. The 770 should work, but it will be limited to PCIE 2.0 speeds. Also, your mobo is about 9 years old but the 770 is only about 3-4 years old. So there's at least a 5 year difference in tech between the two unless I'm mistaken about the dates. Also if I'm correct, that's a near first-gen Core processor in your desktop? If so, I would do some research about CPU bottlenecking to make sure that's not going to be a problem. Maybe, maybe not. Depends on what you have. The 770 was a good GPU, so I would hate for you to spend that money only to not be able to take full advantage of it for whatever reason, whether it be bottlenecking or PCIE 2.0, yeah?

But I just realized I didn't answer your question! Will your mobo recognize it? I don't see why not.

But really I would upgrade the mobo and processor if I were you. Depending on the kind of performance you want, upgrading those two and getting the GPU shouldn't be too massively expensive. I hope I've helped in some way.

ShadowDragon101

Prominent
Mar 5, 2017
Thanks, In regard to the gpu, say I switched to an rx470 instead would that give me decent gaming performance. Also, I read that using a PCi-e 3.0 card on a motherboard with a PCi-e 2.0 slot shouldn't really decrease performance. Since I'm on a budget and the processor is good enough to handle the rx470, is it okay just to switch out the the GPU and PSU.

AntonioE1778

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
Sorry for the late response. The RX 470 is technically a better card that the 770, with more VRAM I believe. So if you're on a budget and can upgrade you should be fine. your 500w PSU should be enough to run the card with the rest of your system. Might want to think about upgrading to a 550 or even 600 or something just to be safe. You should be good though.

Solution

rjnkanwal

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
ShadowDragon101, did you upgraded to rx 470? did it work?
I got same desktop and I would like to get rx 560. I just want to know if you had any issues with rx 470 due to bios.

Just some info for other dell studio xps owners that gtx 1060 works perfectly in this desktop. I have used Evga 1060 sc 6gb.