Dell T110II Workstation w/305watt PSU, can it power RX460? Official website asks for 350w PSU

purestdata

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
Hi people,

I'm trying to get myself a gaming rig using a workstation my friend handed me. It was in terrible condition and now it's doing fine after a week of TLC.

My question is I ordered an RX550 from $82 for this one but then I saw an RX560D(rebranded RX460) for about $89. I'd like to buy that one but I've been told that my PSU high likely will not be able to handle that. RX 550 doesn't require any additional power from 6 pin connector but RX560D does.

On Dell's support forum people say that it's better to power the GPU from a separate power connecter instead of PCI-E connection since workstation's PCI-E's somehow need to stay under 25w power limit. (Even though PCI-E standart requires minimum 75w)

My question is, should I go ahead and buy the RX560? Some people say power requirements of manufacturers are a little bit over inflated?

Or should I not take the risk and stick with the low power RX550?

Thanks in advance.

Solution
You worry too much. The RX 550 will be just fine on that PCIe slot, and so would the RX-560. Better yet, would be the GTX 1050 Ti. No 6-pin required for most of them, and it is waayy faster than either of those other cards.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Have you tried a gfx card in it yet?
I wouldn't worry about the 25W disclaimer. That is on many Dell PCs that come with small PSUs. It's to keep the user from overloading the PSU.
It would not be supplied with a 75W aux. cable (PCIe) if it was only limited to 25W.
While technically, the RX-560 is usually spec'd with a 400W PSU to power it, it will work OK on your 305W Dell PSU. Most do not even require a 6-pin PCIe connector. Even the RX-550 is spec'd to require a 350W PSU, and I have used one on a 300W easily. It really depends on the +12V rail's specs of the PSU.

purestdata

Prominent
Oct 23, 2017
It says 10A for +12V rail power. I have chosen RX 550. The reason I made that choice is that Newegg charges %15 restocking fee if something goes wrong and RX560 deal was only good on Newegg. On the other hand RX 550 is sold by BestBuy and they don't charge anything if things go wrong and I need to return it.

RX 550 doesn't require 6 pin connector and RX 560 does. So there is a chance that RX 550 might not get enough power from PCI-e and I'll need to try something with a 6 pin connector but most likely it'll work since people are mining with that card at about 30w.

I'm not looking for 1080p gaming. Actually I'm playing a simulator on 640x480 res. If RX550 can improve that a little bit I'll be happy with the purchase.

Thank you for your suggestion again.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You worry too much. The RX 550 will be just fine on that PCIe slot, and so would the RX-560. Better yet, would be the GTX 1050 Ti. No 6-pin required for most of them, and it is waayy faster than either of those other cards.

Solution