[SOLVED] dell t3420 on Intel HD 530: BIOS doesn't not display to screen

Jan 15, 2020
Hi forums,

Ref. Intel Precision T3420 w/ Inte HD Graphics 530 and C230 chipset

For the first time I have an BIOS that is unable to show to screen. I was expanding memory on this box, and on bootup F2 and DEL which should give BIOS does not seem to bring it up.

I let it proceed (i.e. BIOS does actually work, just with no output to screen) to GRUB (I have Ubuntu on it) and it reports that a video mode can't be found. However Ubuntu is then able to load its i915 module and video works correctly.

Has anybody encountered this? Any suggestions regarding recovery of the BIOS display would be very welcome. Many thanks in advance.

Solution
Thank you jojesa, for your reply ... it was a good possibility. But I did omit something ... with F2 and DEL, it does in fact enter BIOS, I know that because it won't proceed to boot. I have to restart and not touch any key for it to proceed to boot.

So, it is not ignoring F2 and DEL, it's obeying it, it's just not showing to screen.
I will check out fastboot though ... I've often ignored it ... it's just not going to be solution here.

Many thanks!
It could be that the Primary display entry in the BIOS was change from Auto.
Reset the BIOS to default by removing the CMOS battery.

Make sure to power off, unplug power cord and discharge capacitors by pressing the power button several times after unplugging the power cord .
Sometimes Windows or the BIOS is setup or both are set to Fast boot, which bypasses the option to enter the BIOS.

Try this
Click the Start menu.
Click the power button icon and while holding down the SHIFT key, click Restart.
Windows will boot to the recovery environment.
Click Troubleshoot, click Advanced options, select UEFI Firmware Settings.
Click the Restart button and you will be taken to the BIOS.

Jan 15, 2020
Thank you jojesa, for your reply ... it was a good possibility. But I did omit something ... with F2 and DEL, it does in fact enter BIOS, I know that because it won't proceed to boot. I have to restart and not touch any key for it to proceed to boot.

So, it is not ignoring F2 and DEL, it's obeying it, it's just not showing to screen.
I will check out fastboot though ... I've often ignored it ... it's just not going to be solution here.

Many thanks!

Many thanks!
It could be that the Primary display entry in the BIOS was change from Auto.
Reset the BIOS to default by removing the CMOS battery.

Make sure to power off, unplug power cord and discharge capacitors by pressing the power button several times after unplugging the power cord .

Solution
Jan 15, 2020
Thank jojesa and stonecarver,
Good suggestions.
I initially didn't think F12 boot order would help, but it did come up. It's fairly clear why: it's simple text.
So it's the mouse-supported GUI BIOS (or should I say UEFI?) that is failing to screen up.
While F12 comes up, it's not hugely useful. I thought to update BIOS, but that option just
leads you back to the invisible GUI, so I can't see what I'm doing.
Ref. CMOS battery .. that has been entertaining: I can't get it out. Unusually, its seat is not the small metal clasp you just release any more ... it's got a small plastic tab over one side - ultra secure but even trickier to extract. The manual talks about removing alot of things, but nothing on the CMOS battery.
Thanks for the comments. However, I need to soldier on!

Jan 15, 2020
Got it! The key is the releasing of the BIOS/CMOS battery. Full credit to jojesa for this suggestion: thanks!
This particular battery wasn't easy to get out, you need a jeweller's screwdriver and this must be pushed into a thin slot into the opposite side of the tab. Lift slightly and the spring should pop the battery out. I nearly broke the seating while working this out.

I gave it time and then, yes, F2 gave me the GUI BIOS.