[SOLVED] Dell T3500 ram upgrade

Jan 3, 2019
I've upgraded the CPU and GPU in my Dell T3500 recently so thought I'd stich a bit more RAM in there too. It's got 8GB in it, 4x2gb sticks at the moment, I'm only going to add another 2x2gb sticks in it for now until I can afford a big upgrade like upping it to 24gb. Anyway, I opened it up to check exactly is in there. There are 3 Samsung sticks and a no name stick. The Samsung are ladled as "2GB 2Rx8 PC3-8500E-7-10-E1" the other is exactly the same apart from the last bit which is E0 rather than E!. Does this make any difference? I've found some Samsung memory that matches but should I replace the no name stick while I'm at it?

Solution
RAM has a refresh cycle. This is what the latency numbers refer to. How much time the RAM isn't processing data. In 2 channel the RAM takes turns "goofing off".
With 3 channel there is always RAM working. 50% increase in bandwidth. You really want to have matching sets of 3 modules. Not 4, or 4+2, but 3+3 matching sets is what you want, or 6 matching.
Also the memory controller is on the CPU. i7, older Nehalem Xeons, and newer Westmeres can all have differnt speeds of RAM, and some of the older ones slow down if you use all 6 slots. Genrally 3x4 DDR3 1333 is always good.
Jan 3, 2019

Well I guess you could say that about pretty much anything, and not really answering my questions but thanks.

Jan 3, 2019

Ya I read about that and that's why I want to put the other 2 sticks in. Why 3, there's already 4 in there or is there a problem with the one I asked about?

RAM has a refresh cycle. This is what the latency numbers refer to. How much time the RAM isn't processing data. In 2 channel the RAM takes turns "goofing off".
With 3 channel there is always RAM working. 50% increase in bandwidth. You really want to have matching sets of 3 modules. Not 4, or 4+2, but 3+3 matching sets is what you want, or 6 matching.
Also the memory controller is on the CPU. i7, older Nehalem Xeons, and newer Westmeres can all have differnt speeds of RAM, and some of the older ones slow down if you use all 6 slots. Genrally 3x4 DDR3 1333 is always good.

Solution
Jan 3, 2019

Thanks William. So I'd be best getting rid of the no name stick and getting 3 that match what's already in there to take it up to 12gb (6x2gb). I'm using a Xeon X5660, how does that match that you said about CPU's?

Jan 3, 2019

That's great thanks. When I install the extra sticks, do I need to change any settings in the bios or the like to get the best out of using matched sticks and all the slots? Pretty sure it's only 1066Mhz that's in there at the moment so maybe when I've got the money I'll upgrade again with 4gb sticks at 1333Mhz and build up to 6x4gb.

Still unsure about the no name stick, does it need changing out or should I see how it behaves first when I put the other 2 in?

The Dell BIOS deosn't have any setting you can change. Do be aware that those are probably ECC RAM. It should detect the extra RAM and accept it after a reboot. Those are capable of running all kinds of setups, 2 channel, and a thing called flex mode which gets really strange. But best performance by a lot will be a true 3 channel setup.