[SOLVED] Dell t7500 Build

Jul 25, 2019
Ok, so I lucked into trading my old laptop for this Dell precision t7500.

Spec wise its got:

X5675 processor 6 core - 12 thread at 3.04 ghz (w/ passive cooler)
12gb ddr3 ecc ram @1333mhz (triple Chanel)
250g 850 evo ssd with windows 10 pro
250g kingston ssd as game storage (temporary storage solution)
gigabyte gtx 1060 3g windforce oc.
1100w 80+ gold psu (fully modular)

I am new to " server pc's " and not familiar with the xeon family. What do you all think of them and is the one I have any good? I mostly game on it so far but once I get my bigger storage options in I will be using this as an editing machine and for mild graphic design.

What I am looking to do is make this machine into the beast I know it can be, I just don't know where to start!
Let me know what you all recommend to start with as I plan to keep this for a while and make it my daily machine.

Solution
Some good info in this older thread on upgrades:

You can move to a W series processor, which usually can clock higher than the other xeons in the same generation since they are not capable of dual processors. Since your motherboard only has a single socket, dual processors won't matter.

You can also check out throttlestop which can help you overclock even on a stock board. A lot of the guys in this thread have theirs to 4Ghz:

Good luck and enjoy your new system!

Lutfij

Titan
Would you be able to pass on a picture showing the sticker on the PSU's side? It would indicate if that PSU is a firestarter or a gold mine in terms of quality/reliability.

Specs wise, you're good though it's an LGA 1366 platform meaning it's quite old. The GPU could do better with a 6GB version of the GTX1060 or a higher tier GPU. Regardless it's a good buy/trade.

You can move to a W series processor, which usually can clock higher than the other xeons in the same generation since they are not capable of dual processors. Since your motherboard only has a single socket, dual processors won't matter.

You can also check out throttlestop which can help you overclock even on a stock board. A lot of the guys in this thread have theirs to 4Ghz:

Solution
Jul 25, 2019

Sounds good I will 100% read up on this, I think my best option however is stick to single CPU and go for a newer " w " series and then swap my 3g 1060 for something new like an rtx 2060.