MonstaMachiner

Honorable
Jul 10, 2016
Bit of a noob here, please bear with me! I have an old Dell T7500 (I think that's what this is) with the following specs:

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Xeon W5590 @ 3.33GHz
Gainestown 45nm Technology
RAM
24.0GB Triple-Channel DDR3 @ 664MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0D881F (CPU1)
Graphics
NS-55L780A12 (1920x1080@60Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (NVIDIA)
Storage
1863GB ATA Hitachi HUA72302 SCSI Disk Device (SATA )

The device boots up fine until the WIndows 7 login screen. Once I log in, it takes about 20 minutes or sometimes more, for the interface to be usable. I can move the cursor around but can't click on anything. All I get is the dreaded Windows 7 blue loading circle.
After it is done setting up, everything works mostly well. I use this as a gaming rig, and I never have any trouble with games, even graphically intensive ones.
However, every now and then, while scrolling through a page on a web browser or an image viewer, it will randomly freeze for 5 - 10 seconds.

Given the specs - what is the easiest upgrade for the system in order to make it boot faster and get rid of the random stutters? I do not want to do anything major - just perhaps replace the RAM (which is currently 667mhz) to something faster or add a WD Black 7200rpm 128mb Cache bootable hard drive to replace the current one. (I realize SSDs would be much faster but this system has a SATA II 3GB/s limit anyway.)
Or should I simply reinstall WIndows 7/ do a fresh WIndows 10 install?

Help me breathe new life into this old workhorse! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
I highly recommend to install your OS in an SSD that will Dramatically improve boot times.
Also for the problems you are describing it looks like your HDD is damaged. Honestly i wouldnt even bother in running an HDD analyzing utility when you can simply buy an SSD for your OS and another hard drive to store large files on it for a couple of dolars.

Ramlethal

Estimable
I highly recommend to install your OS in an SSD that will Dramatically improve boot times.
Also for the problems you are describing it looks like your HDD is damaged. Honestly i wouldnt even bother in running an HDD analyzing utility when you can simply buy an SSD for your OS and another hard drive to store large files on it for a couple of dolars.

Solution